Can I use fishing line?

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Participant
    YJ Lin on #166789

Hi, I’m a harpist-to-be from Singapore. I’d like to know whether it’s alright to use a fishing line of same diameter to replace nylon harp strings. I’m doing this to save cost. An informative response is very much appreciated.

Participant
    Fairy Reel on #166790

YIKES! I don’t know, actually, but it doens’t really sound like

Participant
    harpglo-jean on #166791

Yup…it’s possible…just check out Sara Deere-Jones playing on a reproduction of a 15th Century Gothic (small) harp..she even states (page 7 of comments) that: “fishing line” was used to string it with…incredible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bf1bFOf4Gg

patricia-jaeger on #166792

For emergency use only, it will work, until you can order a true harp string. Nylon, a patent by DuPont company, is sold for fishing line, tennis racquets, weed-cutter tools and so on, but for all of those the string is not first passed through a diamond die to make it perfectly cyllindrical as harp strings are, to get correct vibrations when we pluck them.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166793

Hi YiJun,

Good to hear from you.

I have heard of this being done in emergencies in remote parts of the world. I knew

Participant
    andy-b on #166794

I would also be concerned that you may void your warranty on the harp by not using strings approved by teh manufacturer.

Andy

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #166795

I have known professional harpists who used nylon test line, so yes,it is possible, although I don’t know how the quality control compares with real strings these days.

Participant
    YJ Lin on #166796

Hi all, thank you very much for your responses. I do have harp strings available here, and I see that using fishing line might cost more than it seems. =)

Participant
    unknown-user on #166797

Good luck YiJun, it was an interesting question and its always good to hear from harpists in SE Asia!

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.