harpcolumn

Can I use fishing line?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Can I use fishing line?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    YJ Lin
    Participant

Hi, I’m a harpist-to-be from Singapore. I’d like to know whether it’s alright to use a fishing line of same diameter to replace nylon harp strings. I’m doing this to save cost. An informative response is very much appreciated.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

YIKES! I don’t know, actually, but it doens’t really sound like

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Yup…it’s possible…just check out Sara Deere-Jones playing on a reproduction of a 15th Century Gothic (small) harp..she even states (page 7 of comments) that: “fishing line” was used to string it with…incredible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bf1bFOf4Gg

For emergency use only, it will work, until you can order a true harp string. Nylon, a patent by DuPont company, is sold for fishing line, tennis racquets, weed-cutter tools and so on, but for all of those the string is not first passed through a diamond die to make it perfectly cyllindrical as harp strings are, to get correct vibrations when we pluck them.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi YiJun,

Good to hear from you.

I have heard of this being done in emergencies in remote parts of the world. I knew

andy-b
    Participant

I would also be concerned that you may void your warranty on the harp by not using strings approved by teh manufacturer.

Andy

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I have known professional harpists who used nylon test line, so yes,it is possible, although I don’t know how the quality control compares with real strings these days.

YJ Lin
    Participant

Hi all, thank you very much for your responses. I do have harp strings available here, and I see that using fishing line might cost more than it seems. =)

unknown-user
    Participant

Good luck YiJun, it was an interesting question and its always good to hear from harpists in SE Asia!

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics