Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Show Off Piece #182353

    After all this agonizing decision making, please let us know what piece you select.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #182136

    Katie, you may want to consider playing Cantique de Jean Racine by Faure. There is an arrangement for harp/string quartet on http://www.scoreexchange.com. OK, it’s not a harp solo but I think the piece would fit with the theme “Eternal Masters” and work with the choral pieces. You are fortunate enough to have the string quartet available. If you wanted to add a solo part, you could use Daniel Burton’s arrangement found at the usual harp websites. (As a stand-alone show-off piece, it would not work.) Cantique is about 5 minutes long.

    in reply to: Books on harp composing #181028

    Thank you so much for the additional resources, Clinton.

    in reply to: Books on harp composing #180519

    Thank you, Patricia. I appreciate this book list. I’m sure it will be helpful to others, as well.

    in reply to: Books on harp composing #180059

    Well, since there wasn’t any overwhelming response to my post above, I started searching on the internet and found that http://www.harpspectrum.com has a list of books about harp composing. Another good site is http://www.composingforharp.com.

    in reply to: First time replacing strings – need feedback #177202

    Go to http://www.harpcenter.com. Look for a link “strings.” Click around and you will find several links on the page about replacing strings and tying string knots. There are enough photos that you should be able to figure out your problem. Perhaps the page can be translated by google for you. Hopefully, someone who speaks Dutch on HC forum can help you, too.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #144694

    Katie,

    In re-reading the posts in this thread (I’m always on the lookout, too, for new repertoire), I noticed you said “conductor.” It would be nice to know the context for needing a show-off piece, but I am going to now assume you are playing something with an orchestra. If so, you might want to check out Two Guitars by Linda Wood. There is also an additional chamber music accompaniment. This is a great two-page showy harp piece and is very easy to learn.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #144692

    First Arabesque, Claude Debussy; Nataliana or Baroque Flamenco, Deborah Henson-Conant.

    in reply to: Music-Buying Tips #144656

    Go to the music vendor websites that have sample pages and try the music before you buy. Melody Folk Harp and Harp Connection are two sites that carry sample pages. It will help your sight reading skills, too:)

    in reply to: Burnout #144655

    Angela, I am sure in time you will figure out where you want to go with your harp.

    I would just like to address one small part of your email: Skype lessons. I recently had a lesson with a Harp Column member, and it was an extremely positive experience. You can see all the nuances and it was almost as good as having someone in the room. The only very minor issue for me was a timing issue because there is a very slight hesitation in sound transmission. But for working on everything else, it is fantastic. I would encourage you or anyone to try this. In addition, there are very inexpensive tablets for about $100 or refurbished Ipads for the same cost if you have a computer with no camera or of poor quality.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #144586

    Mia, I found out that pedal extenders are available at http://www.kolacnymusic.com for $20 each. The phone number is 800-870-3167. The website warns the extenders could harm your harp so be sure to ask about that when you talk to Lyon Healy.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #144583

    Mia, have your mother call Lyon-Healy to see if they or some other company can make pedal extenders for you. I have seen some children in youtube clips who play a concert grand and have special metal pedals clipped over the regular harp pedals. It is more important that you sit correctly at your harp so you do not further bother your back. Meantime, you might ask your teacher to have you play music that has no pedal changes or maybe just the pedals you can reach. If all else fails, there is a huge amount of music that can be played on a lever harp.

    in reply to: Burnout #144561

    I agree. Sylvia’s advice is excellent.

    Angela, there are teachers who teach via skype. I know Vanderbilt Music advertises that service. Some lessons would be very beneficial to you. Also go through tutorials on youtube. Perhaps you need to re-think what you play. Maybe you need to play easier music. Maybe you don’t know the music as well as you think, And, when you perform, jitters take over rather than knowing the music so well that you can play through it. You may want to learn chords better and build upon your singing. I would certainly record yourself playing so you can be objective about your playing and how you sound to others. You can use your cell phone. This may give you some answers.

    The fact you are seeking advice from other harpists shows you still have drive and determination to succeed with your harp playing. Keep moving forward. Remember you are not the first nor the last to go through this. We’re here for you.

    in reply to: Interested in purchasing a 2nd hand harp #144510

    After reading about Sonya finding a pedal harp on Craigslist, my curiosity got the better of me and I scoped it out for harps. Interestingly, there is an Italian lap harp for sale for $85 in Melbourne, Florida. Of course, this doesn’t help you in Singapore but perhaps for that low price, someone in the US will take a chance on the harp.

    in reply to: New Harp #144509

    What exciting news! Have fun with your new harp. Post a photo, too. PS/ I think the cautionary word is not to buy harps on ebay. At least with Craig’s list you can see the harp in person before you buy it. You were lucky to find a harp so near you.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 866 total)