Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Music suggestions wanted! #144429

    Do a key word search on google for “french cafe music.” You will find a lot of suggestions and a youtube clip of music. I hope you are planning to wear some sort of costume to complete your role. A beret and tied scarf on the harp could be fun, too. If this was my gig, I would also bring a small, stuffed-toy dog with a leash tied to my harp column or harp bench. The French love their dogs:) Let us know how the wedding turns out. Sounds like fun.

    in reply to: Lesson I am Learning #144387

    Onita, I cannot address the race issue, but can on pricing. I play occasionally with a classical guitarist who has his profile on two of the music job sites. He has his photo posted, I do not. Lately, when a request has come in for a solo harpist, it has been about price and nothing else. The last request a week ago in the second sentence said “TIGHT BUDGET.” People like the idea of a harp and are clueless about the music and good harp playing.

    PS.I am hoping that Mason Morton of Sons of Serendip (America’s Got Talent) will help break the harpist stereotype. He has already done a lot to draw attention to the harp.

    in reply to: Softening hard callouses #144377

    Try using Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Creme. It is available in drugstores and some grocery stores like Whole Foods or Fresh Market. http://www.burtsbees.com

    in reply to: string paranoia #144310

    I got my last strings from Vanderbilt Music and they have been very good, too, about replacing broken or defective strings. I just received my replacement C. Nice to know LH is doing the same. I also got a couple strings directly from Bow.

    Sid, what is the full story that you heard about Bow Brand? Vanderbilt Music had a couple paragraphs on their website but it basically just acknowledged the string breaking problem.

    in reply to: string paranoia #144308

    Sid, you made me feel better. Misery loves company. Interesting that I had a 5th octave E break on me in less than a day from the previous batch of strings. That didn’t unnerve me as much as the higher strings because the sound is lower. But it sure was loud! The Bow Brand strings I bought in 2013 barely lasted 6 months and I lost count of how many broke – including one during a Christmas Eve service. I restrung one harp a month ago and the other two weeks ago and the strings are better – so far. Still have had a number of string casualties, though, and a faulty 1st octave C – it broke 3 times. I put an old one back on. I even watched as one string stretched and then popped.

    in reply to: Salzedo notation sideways U-shaped accent #144297

    This is one of those notations that you need to see someone play to be able to understand and play it, IMHO. I hope Saul, Josh or someone will post a clip on youtube. Or even post a segment on Salzedo notations. Saul, you did a great job articulating what it means. I was fortunate to have an instructor who played with Salzedo so I was able to be shown how to play the various notations. Anyhow, trying to learn Salzedo notations just by using the method book wouldn’t work for me.

    in reply to: Charging someone for replacing their harp strings #144296

    Thanks for letting us know what happened. Hopefully, this person will get her harp regulated. Glad you charged for your services in this particular situation.

    in reply to: Lever Harp parts for orchestra #143987

    Donna,

    I would bring all this up with your harp instructor at your next lesson. This is part of learning to play the harp.

    in reply to: Salzedo notation sideways U-shaped accent #143768

    I don’t believe there is a name for that symbol. You just have to know what it means. My harp instructor said the reasoning is to make the playing smooth between that note with the sideways U and the next notes. You normally would raise but you slide up and down the string(s) when you see the U. You will see the same symbol in Salzedo’s Tango.

    This would be a good segment for Josh Layne’s Harp Tuesdays.

    in reply to: Playing 3 against 2 #143715

    I saw a youtube masterclass video in which harpist Skaila Kanga coached the student to say something like “a nice cup of tea,” or “have a cup of tea” (can’t recall her exact words) to play 3 against 2. I do the one-ee-and-a-two-ee myself to get that passage. I also use the metronome. I did the hand tapping, too, when I first started First Arabesque.

    I’m sure your instructor is working with you on it and should have approaches to this tricky passage. Don’t rush. It will come in time – maybe a lot longer time than you’d like. Accuracy is more important than speed while you are learning the piece. Make sure you know each hand well to the point of memorization in those measures so you can focus on the rhythm, not the notes. Once you get this on the first page of First Arabesque, you will be able to complete the piece and always be able to do this rhythm playing any piece. First Arabesque is a great technique piece, and one of the most difficult IMHO to play well.

    in reply to: Okay, here’s a new one…. #143543

    David,

    Maybe you should take a cue from a harpist I know – he gives the bride a menu and says “pick one” for the processional, recessional and whatever is in between. End. He said he knows these pieces backwards and forwards so it eliminates surprises. He chooses what to play for gathering music and while people leave the ceremony following the recessional. Don’t you need to spend time practicing for South Pacific? Time to learn to say “no” IMHO (although it would lessen the entertainment value on HC).

    in reply to: can you record "Esme" for me? #143483

    Could one of the experienced harpists in matters like this comment. We have an earnest person who wants music not available. He got the PDF of the score from an open source and has posted a clip of the original song for everyone to hear. He is offering to pay for professional services. Obviously, his intentions are honest.

    But what are the ethics/legalities behind this? Is it ethical/legal to transcribe and post Esme? Would it be ethical/legal for a harpist to record or play this at his wedding? Should Brian be advised to seek out Joanna Newsome or her agent to get permission to use the music? If someone dropped this request on me, I wouldn’t know how to answer it.

    in reply to: Harp and Violin Duets #143474

    Also meant to suggest: Larghetto and Allegro for Violin and Harp by Gaetanio Donizetti and Sonata for Violin & Harp by Louis Spohr.

    I’m not sure if this is still published – but available on IMSLP – is Serenade by L.M Tedeschi. The harp part is not difficult.

    in reply to: Harp and Violin Duets #143471

    I’ve been through a lot of music trying to find harp and viola pieces. In my music drawer I found Berceuse op. 299 by Karl Oberthur. It has a great harp part. There is a beautifully played clip on youtube.

    in reply to: Cracked Lyon and Healy Ogden column #143466

    Lyon & Healy should have contacts in Asia so you don’t have to ship your harp to the US. I am sure LH will advise you about what to do. If you do not get an email reply in a week, send another one and include the photo.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 866 total)