Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Camac Anthena extended, Vendome or Prestige #183750

    Emma and Tacye, you bring up excellent points about a child being big enough to handle a concert grand harp. I was always a very tall child – I was 5’6″ by the time I was 12 or 13 so I did not even think about that.

    Lovekin, you may want to consider a harp rental(s) before you make an expensive harp purchase. You could find one though your instructor, the American Harp Society members or by contacting Venus, Salvi, Lyon-Healy or Camac harp manufacturers. There are some rent-to-own programs. I believe Salvi and Lyon-Healy also have trade-in programs.

    I hope you are not overwhelmed with all this discussion. There is a lot to think about before making a purchase as expensive as a new car.

    in reply to: Camac Anthena extended, Vendome or Prestige #183742

    Marco, I think the question of regulation is ultimately up to the harp tech and the harp instructor. I play a lot so I do need an annual regulation. You are probably right in saying every two years will work. A new harp is so expensive, though, and it is always better to have a small problem stay small.

    If buying a new harp, the harp maker should be asked when to do the first regulation for that particular harp. And, check about the warranty and regulation for a new harp.

    in reply to: Camac Anthena extended, Vendome or Prestige #183740

    Sid, I heartily agree with you. My first harp, a Salvi Aurora, ended up with me for 35 years. A good harp will retain its resale value. I sold my harp for more than I initially paid.

    Also make sure the harp is regulated annually, and you keep records of that. It will help maintain the value of the harp. I don’t know if you plan to move the harp right now, but when you do, invest in a transport cover. Nothing for the harp is inexpensive so you may want to start a harp fund – a great place for those birthday and holiday checks:)

    PS/ Maybe you should think about taking harp lessons, too.

    in reply to: Silent Night for flute and harp #183665

    Elizabeth, thank you for the Silent Night link at the bottom of your post. I could not find a sound clip beyond the introduction, but I am going to splurge and just buy the music. Also, it was suggested to me by you and others to take harp arrangements and have the flutist play the melody line. I saw a video on youtube of a duo playing Frank Voltz’s Silent Night this way and it sounded great.

    So now after all this, I got a call today saying Silent Night will be a singalong carol and to find something else for offertory:)

    in reply to: Silent Night for flute and harp #183645

    Sid, I am sorry if you thought I was insulted. I was just trying to stay on topic. I appreciate you are trying to be helpful, and I thank you for your thoughts.

    in reply to: Silent Night for flute and harp #183640

    Sid, my question was about an arrangement of Silent Night, not order of playing. I appreciate your music suggestions, though. Yes, I am playing Still, Still, Still along with Infant Lowly and Away in the Manager for the first service offertory. There are about 400 people who attend each service so I need about 6-8 minutes of music. I am playing It Came Upon the Midnight Clear and Silent Night for the second service. My selections revolve around other carols the music director selected first for the choir, singalongs, etc.

    in reply to: So David . . .?? #183600

    Shhhh, Kay. You might scare David away from telling us tales of sitting in front of a live tiger, the horrible conductor, or weird people in polyester suits babbling “godzilla” and “pickle.”

    I have to confess that I am not a big fan of electronic music – I much prefer music that has a strong melody. That said, this video is absolutely fantastic. The arrangement is great, videography is superb and your harp playing is excellent (and your nail polish so fabulous). The use of the mirror and close-ups of your hands really kept my attention. I hope you get this aired on MTV or VH1. The best harp/rock video I’ve seen. Bravo!!! Thank you so much for sharing and being brave enough to ask for opinions.

    in reply to: The Strangest Wedding of my Career #183435

    Oh, David, I’ve been waiting so long for another entertaining story from you. Thankfully, this one didn’t involve a disaster, too:) Thanks for sharing your latest adventure.

    in reply to: Arm Pain #183328

    Read Saul’s remark in the Hand Tension thread above this one.

    in reply to: Back pains-due to medical condition? #183307

    I never thought to ask. I do it about 3 times. I also do side stretches and a few other yoga stretches. I also find it helps a lot to do 10 minutes of stretching in the evening. I don’t wake up feeling so tight.

    in reply to: Back pains-due to medical condition? #183277

    My chiropractor gave me a great exercise that helps with the upper back area you describe. He calls it North, South, East, West. Stand straight (but relaxed). With your arms/hands by your side, reach down as far as you can pulling your shoulders down. Hold for 20 seconds. Then keeping your arms/hands by your side, raise your shoulders up as high as you can. Hold for 20 seconds. Again, with arms/hands by your side, open your chest and try to make your shoulder blades touch each other. Hold for 20 seconds. Lastly, give yourself a big hug wrapping your arms around you to touch your back. Hold for 20 seconds. Make sure you feel your muscles stretch, but not strain.

    in reply to: Arm Pain #183262

    In college, I injured my shoulder in a bicycle/car accident and also injured my hand, which required surgery. A couple years ago I broke a bone in my other hand. From my injuries, I can only advise you to take up yoga so that you stretch your whole body. When you do physio after your upcoming surgery, insist on including physio for your shoulder, too. When you are well enough to play, be sure your bench is up very high. If you are allowed to do any exercise now, I would start on your rehab exercises and/or start yoga. The better shape you are prior to surgery, the better your recovery. We learned that when my husband had a hip replacement.

    My very best to you for a successful outcome and a return to your harp playing.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #183217

    Another thought on this thread for others who may need a show-off piece: Check out the pieces on the Lily Laskin CD collection. She plays some wonderful harp solos, many of which I was not familiar. Much of the music is available in the public domain.

    in reply to: What Song Is This? #183198

    When Carl said song/piece drives him nuts, I took his bold text to mean he was venting his frustration, not making an attack. My harp instructor felt the same way as Carl. I never made the mistake (or knowingly) about mixing up song and piece after her “friendly” reminder:) But, now we know the name of the PIECE.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 866 total)