Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: First Time Teacher #225011

    You may want to join the Facebook Group called Harp Strategies. Also check http://www.creativeharpteacher.com.

    in reply to: Should I be concerned??? #224759

    What brand strings are on the harp? When was the last time the wire strings were changed? When was your harp last regulated? I own a 2012 Salvi Apollo. It is my workhorse. I have no problems whatsoever.

    in reply to: Non cliche music for harp? #224675

    Certainly your post had a lot of cliches and is unclear as to what you want to play. I would suggest you listen to harp music on YouTube to get an idea of what music you are seeking. Spotify is another good source. Maybe if you can be more specific on your likes and dislikes along with your playing level and type harp you play (pedal, lever, double-strung etc.), it would be easier to recommend music.

    in reply to: Celtic Women Siúil a Rún Score #224110

    http://www.musicnotes.com. Arranged by David Downes. Comes in e minor. I believe you can buy the score in other keys. Type in the song name or type Celtic Women to find the score.

    in reply to: Harp Restoration Needed – Michigan #223604

    Thanks for sharing the photos. What a beauty that should no longer hide in a corner like Cinderella. Go onto YouTube and listen to saxophone and harp videos. There is some great new music and outstanding duos performing this combination of instruments.

    in reply to: Harp Restoration Needed – Michigan #223548

    Howard Bryan at http://www.oldharpsmadeyoung.com would be the place to start. A question to ask is whether the harp can or should be made playable or will just be a decoration. Glad you realize restoration of any sort will be $$$. I applaud you and your father for caring enough about the harp to preserve it in some appropriate form. Please post a photo of your grandmother’s harp.

    in reply to: Music as a stay at home mom #223264

    Hannah,

    I would suggest you join the various harp Facebook groups and lurk for a while. When you feel familiar with the groups pose the question you are asking above and also see if perhaps there is interest in another FB group for harpists with children.

    Meantime, I would be diligent about keeping a practice schedule. Hire a sitter or do kid trading so you have uninterrupted time. You may also want to schedule a recital or concert so you have a deadline and purpose for moving forward with your harp skills. It is so easy with a full time job and or with children to stop playing.

    in reply to: Games/exercises for toddler on toy harp #222898

    Emma, I looked at Keziah Thomas Instagram. What a talent. Thank you for letting people know about this incredibly inspiring harpist.

    in reply to: Prokofieff Winter Bonfire Suite (Winter Holiday, Op.122) #222897

    David, thanks for sharing your music. I must add, I am disappointed you weren’t writing about your outrageous Christmas pageant or a gig gone wrong:)

    in reply to: My Antique Erard on a movie set #222896

    Cool! Great photo. Thanks for sharing the news.

    in reply to: Tuning new pedal harp #222839

    Debora, Carl and Tacye covered your question about tuning. This is what I was taught, as well. BTW, you may not be aware that Carl builds and repairs harps http://www.swansonharp.com.

    I would contact a Camac rep and ask. As well, you may want to contact the harp tech who services harps in your area and ask. One of my harps when bought new was great but the other one badly needed a regulation right after I received it; probably due to the stress of shipping. Once regulated the pedals were fine.

    in reply to: Infant Holy, Infant Lowly #222326

    Three Christmas Solos, Ernie and Becky Brock. Available http://www.folkharp.com. Best arrangement I have found. Lever or pedal harp.

    in reply to: Tuning new pedal harp #221129

    Alison, I was told by Salvi to bring the harp to pitch when I tuned. I bought two Salvi harps new. Barbara, perhaps you should ask Salvi to be certain. Good point brought up in the above post that you will be tuning in flat, or a half step down. Therefore, the C string will be tuned to B, D will be C#, and so forth.

    PS: JS, I think your teacher would be amused by your story. What you did is not stupid. You just have not been taught about proper harp care. Incorporate harp maintenance into your lessons. That is how I learned to take care of a harp.

    in reply to: Tuning new pedal harp #221102

    You can contact Peter at Salvi Harps in California or the person you bought it from for questions regarding your harp for definitive questions about your harp. I own an Apollo, too. When my harp came, I tuned it going up starting around the third octave. I tuned up and then tuned down. I have a Peterson iStroboSoft app on my cell phone. The bottom two wires are most difficult. Tune the harp right away to keep the tension correct. Remember your top G and bottom D and C are tuned to the actual note. There is no disc so those strings do not change. Be sure your pedals are in “natural” which means they are up in flat when you tune. Never bang or slam the pedals. If the harp is new, it will need a regulation during the first year or the warranty could be voided. Ask about that from the person you bought the harp.

    Also ask what brand of strings are on the harp. I would buy an extra set of at least the first three octaves of strings. I have a full set of gut strings. I then use those to restring the harp and buy another set of spares. You will get three or four strings out of the top two octaves and two out of most of the third octave strings. You do not need to keep extra wire strings. There are discussions elsewhere on this forum about string brands. Personally, either Vanderbilt gut or Premier strings sound so much better on the Apollo than Bow Brand which is normally on a new harp.

    If your harp is new, you will need to break it in. I was told by Salvi to play the top octaves for about 10 minutes here and there for a couple days. Then after a couple days do the second and third octave and go down the harp. Just play the notes any way just to play them. Of course, you can still do your regular playing. I was told really working the upper strings helps open the soundboard. This was six years ago so you may want to check with Peter at Salvi Harps. I’m sure your Apollo has a pretty big sound already.

    Enjoy your harp!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 866 total)