haromagik

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Camac pedal harps #76833
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi there,
    Well, I just bought a used Camac Clio yesterday. I was able to compare it to the L&H 85 petite. There was a warmth to the L&H that I liked, but there was a clear, bell-like tone to the Clio that is what pulled me in. Mine has the extended sound board, and more strings (44) than the L&H I looked at (40), which were both important to me. For me it was a lot of harp in a small package, and I got mine at a very good price. I felt that the resonance/sustain on the Clio remained very clear, while the L&H I played and listened to muddied up a bit. Just my opinion! This is my first pedal harp after many years of Celtic harp playing, so there is much for me to learn, including how to pull the sound out, so really, time will tell, but I expect to be quite happy with my Clio. I’m a little over the moon, actually. Guess what I’ll be doing today?

    Good luck!

    Ellen

    in reply to: Brand new pedal harp!!!!!!!! #76734
    haromagik
    Participant

    OMGosh, I am driving to Phoenix, Arizona tomorrow to look at a barely used Camac Clio for only $9000. Wish me luck! I hope my Celtic harp fingers can figure out if it’s the harp for me.

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68871
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi 59 year old unknown user, have you tried a lap harp sling? They have one at Harps Etc. I’ve never tried one, but was thinking of getting one to see what it was like. It looks pretty useful! http://www.harpsetc.com/lap-harp-sling.html

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62521
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hey Kreig, what is it about those zooming flutes?? I have to laugh because I play flute and alto flute, along with harp. However, I was playing with a Celtic trio for awhile, me on harp, guitar/vocalist, and a whistle/flute player. In rehearsals we’d work so hard to set the tempo, and even sometimes arrange things so that I’d set the tempo, and then when we got to performances, that flute/whistle would just take off! And I’d be plucking my fastest to keep up! Good training, I guess, but it was hard and I never felt I played my best when that was happening. It’s made me try to be very conscientious as a flute player when I am collaborating with others, especially harpists, to watch where I might be tempted to rush things, and to listen and slow down.

    in reply to: Brand new pedal harp!!!!!!!! #76732
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hey there, I am so longing for a pedal harp. I play a Dusty Strings FH36, which I love, but that chromatic music is calling! I’ve been playing Celtic harp a long time, but you two (J Valentine and Shelby) are inspiring. Maybe I’ll find a way to do it! I’m thinking about going to Harps Etc. in August… explore the rent to own program they’ve got. Congratulations Shelby and J Valentine! I wish I could hear you both play!

    in reply to: air travel with stoney end’s eve #112553
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi Rachel, I used to have a Stoney End Eve. And sometimes they’d let me take it on, and sometimes not. It depends upon the people controlling such things, and the size of the plane. It did not fit in the overhead of some smaller planes, but was fine on a transatlantic flight. I got so nervous about travelling with that harp (one time they made me gate check it all the way across the country, and I was terrified for it the whole time!), that I eventually sold the harp, and bought a Triplett Zephyr which is smaller. It is not as resonant, and is harder to play than the Stoney, but I have never, ever, been confronted about carrying it on. Good luck!

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? (February 2013) #61507
    haromagik
    Participant

    Is anyone familiar with the Samuel Barber choral work, “To be Sung on the Water?” I just love it, and am in the process of arranging it for harp (and then trying to learn it, of course!). It’s coming along really beautifully. Here’s a youtube of the traditional choral version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5-8×7-9CQ.

    in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60248
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you so much for this advice! I tried it this morning and it helped tremendously. I’ll get those pinkies in line yet! :o)

    in reply to: Venus Penti Chamber harp #76689
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi Janelle, well, I am thinking about it! My brother lives there. It would be so awesome to see your harps. Thanks! It’s just a loooong way from California.

    in reply to: Choosing a Harp #76669
    haromagik
    Participant

    Also check out Dusty Strings. I know they sell them in the UK as well. Good luck!

    in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60244
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you Barbara, I’ll take a look. By the way, I love your arrangement for Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie for lever harp. thank you so much for it!

    in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60243
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you Barbara, I’ll take a look. By the way, I love your arrangement for Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie for lever harp. thank you so much for it!

    in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60241
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you, Tony, I was thinking about that today as I was practicing, and it seemed to help a little. Oddly, they don’t hurt when I play, but do afterwards. But I will keep an eye on it.

    in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60239
    haromagik
    Participant

    yes, little fingers.

    in reply to: I need some advice! I’m looking for a harp to buy… #76629
    haromagik
    Participant

    I have a Dusty Strings FH36; actually I have two! And I think they are just brilliant. Sweet sparkling tone, seamless up through the entire register. It might be worth checking it out! Have fun! There’s nothing like playing the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)