harpcolumn

What’s on your music stand? (February 2013)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire What’s on your music stand? (February 2013)

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    lyn-boundy
    Participant

I just bought Stairway to Heaven as arranged by Davud Ice, though I can’t actually play it until I get the new harp. Does anyone have opinions on how this arrangement compares with the SylviaWood one as I had meant to get hers but mistakenly ordered the wrong one.

I should be getting 8 additional strings any day now so I’m really just trying to consolidate everything I’ve learnt so far (ie. most of Sylvia Wood;s ‘Teach Yourself . . . ”) before going on to some of the music I’ve recently bought, including several pieces from ‘Classics for Pedal Free Harp’ – my favourite and likely starting point being Mozart’s ‘Spring Song’.

eimear-kyle
    Participant

Hi Jerusha!
    Right now I’m working on the Dussek Sonatina no.2, Carolan’s Farewell to Music and the Tournier Prelude no.1.
    They’re such lovely pieces!
    Eimear.

seika-dong
    Participant

Loonatik
    lyn-boundy
    Participant

Good grief, you all sound so advanced! Just to make the other beginners feel a bit better here’s what I’m working on right now. Still trying to perfect by ear Farewell (from Sylvia Wood’s Teach Yourself to Play book). I’ve also been threatening to learn a slightly more advanced version (duet) of Pachelbel’s Canon now I have a few more strings to play with so I’m just getting started on that. My daily repertoire at the moment consists of Danny Boy, Planxty Irwin (simple S. woods version), Come to the Fair (this is an old song that my grandparents used to play on piano and sing to when I was a small child and which I had my tutor arrange for harp), several other ‘less favourites’ from the Sylvia Woods book as I plough towards the end. I’m also trying to figure out my own arrangement of The Rainbow Connection, which I’ve wanted to play for ages and I’m trying to familiarise myself with some of the pieces from ‘Classics for Pedal-Free Harp’ by Bird and Peters, as I hope to progress to some of those soon.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Is anyone familiar with the Samuel Barber choral work, “To be Sung on the Water?” I just love it, and am in the process of arranging it for harp (and then trying to learn it, of course!). It’s coming along really beautifully. Here’s a youtube of the traditional choral version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5-8×7-9CQ.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.