Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Flailing fingers left hand #144318

    This sounds like something you should consult a doctor about. Do you notice the same thing when away from the harp if you are extending your hand to pick up an object?

    in reply to: Harp and Violin Duets #143502

    I made an edition of Dvorak’s Song to the Moon from Rusalka that can be played on violin and harp. If you email me, I can send it to you.

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #143220

    In 2014, I will not be doing CISHI, since the VSO has expanded its summer season and will include an orchestral training course at Whistler in mid-July, 2015. CISHI will be re-located to God’s Mountain Estate in the Okanagan area of BC. For more details, consult the web site http://www.cishi.ca. Details about the VSO summer camp will be posted in the fall on http://www.vancouversymphony.ca or on my web site http://www.elizabethvolpebligh.com.

    Thanks for this, Alison!

    in reply to: Kingdom Dance from Tangled #142910

    I think Sylvia Woods has just issued a book of tunes including some from Tangled.

    in reply to: Squeaky Harp Strings #142778

    Check carefully to see if your fingers are sliding on the strings before you play them. If you place them exactly where they are to be played, they should not make a squeak when they come off the strings. The squeaking happens when you slide vertically up or down the string. If it happens only when you play the thumb, you may have to experiment with your thumb technique.

    in reply to: WHC Sydney #142777

    I was there, and had a great time, (when I wasn’t practising for my performance). It was too bad that they didn’t distribute a list of attendees with contact information, so that we could see if any of our friends were there. I am already looking forward to the next one in Hong Kong in 2017!

    in reply to: injured toe while practising in bare feet #142114

    I had a message from Jerusha, asking if these slippers have any heels. They don’t have heels, but the leather gives a great grip on the floor and pedals.

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #142046

    The faculty recital programme will be comprised of music written or arranged by harpist/composers. July 4, 7:00 p.m. Pyatt Hall, VSO School of Music. Tickets $20/15 at door or ordered in advance through cishi.info@gmail.com.
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh: The Damselfly, The Downstairs Spider, and Seasons in Vancouver.
    Judy Loman: Salzedo – Ballade
    Julia Kay Jamieson: Oblivion (her own), Oblivion (Piazzolla), and Oblivion (Macy Gray)
    Gianetta Baril: Tournier – Féerie
    faculty quartet: Julia Kay Jamieson – Solar Power, and Take Five (Paul Desmond)

    in reply to: injured toe while practising in bare feet #142014

    I just bought some black leather slippers that allow me to grip the pedals while still giving some protection to the feet. I may use them for a piece I am doing that has lots of pedal slides.

    in reply to: Harp Moving – Ramp vs Mechanical Lift #142013

    You don’t want a steep ramp. Do you have any friends who are engineers who could come to your house and look over the situation? They might have some creative solutions. Is there room for a ramp that zigzags, to reduce the angle of the slope?

    in reply to: Health Issues and Harp Playing #142012

    I hope this illness gets better over time, or that the medical profession discovers a better treatment for it. In the meantime, keep up your playing, and possibly at some time in the future, you can take to the stage again. Perhaps you could do some recording, a little bit at a time, when you have the energy. A famous Canadian pianist, Glenn Gould, hated performing, so he gave it up and only recorded after that.

    Dear Victoria, If you email me, I can send you my edition of the harp part for Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman. I used to be able to attach files right onto the page, but I can’t figure out how any more.

    in reply to: Professional orchestra and harp moving #62934

    Dear Sylvia, Now that you know that it is common practice for the stage crew to move the harp, ask the management if they will have the crew move your harp in future. Our orchestra used to only get our music a week in advance until I started asking my Harp Column friends when they got theirs. I was shocked to find out that everyone else was getting their music at least two weeks in advance of the first rehearsal. So we got our contract changed.

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #59864

    We have a wonderful Pilates instructor, Patricia Blanchard, this year. She will be doing three sessions in which she will show us some great exercises that can be done sitting or standing up, with handouts so that we can remember them. She came to my harp studio to see how the harp is played, took some pictures, and will design the exercises specifically to benefit harpists. Looking forward to this!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 954 total)