Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Puccini’s, O Mio Babbino Caro #62283

    Seattle harpist Alison Austin runs Pacific Harp Institute, and that is her son, Patrick, playing the violin. I am sure she could tell you where to get the music. I will email you with her contact information.

    in reply to: freezing cold hands due to nerves – tips? #62912

    Are you holding your breath when you play? If this is the case, then your extremities are being starved of oxygen. Remember to keep breathing deeply as you play, practising deep breaths at the beginnings of phrases. If you are very conscious about it, and breathe deeply whenever you feel tightness, you would be amazed how it releases tension.

    in reply to: Harp Cadenzas? #62257

    There are lists of orchestra excerpts required in auditions.

    Here’s the list from St. Louis Symphony’s harp auditon:
    BARTÓK Concerto for Orchestra
    BERG Violin Concerto
    BERLIOZ Symphonie fantastique
    BRITTEN The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra
    BRUCKNER Symphony No. 8
    DEBUSSY Afternoon of a Faun
    DEBUSSY La mer
    MAHLER Symphony No. 5: Adagietto
    RAVEL Alborada del gracioso
    RAVEL Tzigane
    RAVEL Piano Concerto in G Major: Cadenza
    RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Capriccio espagnol
    SMETANA Vysehrad (The High Castle), from Ma vlast
    STRAUSS Death and Transfiguration
    STRAUSS Dance of the Seven Veils from Salomé
    STRAVINSKY Symphony in Three Movements
    TCHAIKOVSKY Nutcracker Suite No. 1
    WAGNER Magic Fire Music from Die Walküre

    Here’s another list, which shows some of the same pieces:
    Bartok- Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste, Violin Concerto No. 2
    Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique
    Britten- Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra
    Bruch- Scottish Fantasy
    Bruckner- Symphony No. 8
    Chabrier- España
    Debussy- La Mer
    Donizetti- Lucia di Lammermoor Cadenza
    Dukas- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
    Mahler- Symphony No. 1, Symphony No. 5
    Ravel- Alborada del Gracioso, Daphnis and Chloe (complete ballet), Mother Goose Ballet, Le Tombeau de Couperin, Tzigane
    Rimsky-Korsakov- Capriccio Espagnole
    Strauss- Don Juan, Death and Transfiguration, Ein Heldenleben, Salome’s Dance
    Stravinsky- Song of the Nightingale, Petrouchka (combined part), Symphony in Three Movements
    Tchaikovsky- Nutcracker (cadenza and excerpts), Swan Lake (cadenza)
    Verdi- La Forza del Destino Overture
    Wagner- Das Rheingold, Magic Fire Music, Liebestod, Siegfried’s Rheinfahrt, Tannhauser

    in reply to: Tension in the back of the hand #60485

    Judy Loman taught me this: playing very slowly, relax the hand completely in between each note, while still placing normally. Using a scale as an example: place all 4 fingers for the scale. Play the 4th finger, bringing it all the way into the palm, then relax the entire hand, but do not fall off the strings. Then play the 3rd finger, also bringing it into the palm, then relax completely, but keeping the 2nd and thumb still placed, etc. Any time you are learning a tricky passage, use this technique. I can tell you from experience, it works.
    Also, practice placing your hands in a very relaxed manner. Drop your arms. Then raise the hands very slowly, with the thumbs up and ready, and plop the hands onto the strings, in perfect position. Drop your hands again and repeat this until you always arrive on the strings perfectly positioned, comfortable and relaxed. Your shoulders should be down, never hunched up.
    Let me know if this helps you.

    in reply to: Dvorak Rusalka Song to the Moon help please #62299

    When you have a glissando of a chord, it is implied that you use enharmonic notes to fill in the gaps. The setting for these glissandi is D#, C nat., B#, Eb, F#, Gb, A nat.

    in reply to: Dvorak Rusalka Song to the Moon help please #62298

    I am attaching the part here, with the pedal markings. I hope this helps.

    in reply to: Professional orchestra and harp moving #62929

    The VSO moves my harp to any run-outs from its usual place in the Orpheum Theatre. The crew will also move the second harpist’s instrument.

    in reply to: Dvorak’s “The Wood Dove” (The Wild Dove) #62230

    I am looking at the part on the IMSLP site, and I don’t see a trill, but rather, repeated G naturals. You could either use alternating hands to play on the same string, or do the G one octave down every alternate note.

    in reply to: looking for pedal harp teacher in Toronto #89924

    I would imagine that they do give private lessons. You could call the Toronto Symphony to contact Heidi van Hoesen Gorton. I have an email address for Janice, but I don’t know if it’s current. Email me, and I will send you what I have.

    The big difference is in the amount of academic work, but this varies greatly among institutions. They should all have course information on their web sites. When I got my degree from University of Toronto in Performance, I took electives (French conversation and literature and psychology), and courses such as composition, music history, ethnomusicology, theory and conducting. At the time, I could not have imagined how useful it all turned out to be. Some classical music programs also offer things such as jazz and career-management. Wherever you go, look for a school which will offer playing opportunities in ensembles.

    in reply to: looking for pedal harp teacher in Toronto #89922

    Toronto is full of wonderful harpists, so you should have no problem. There is a very active Toronto chapter of the American Harp Society.
    Here’s the web site of the Toronto chapter: http://www.torontoharp.org/
    Judy Loman teaches at the Glenn Gould School, and many of her students teach. Sharlene Wallace, Andrew Chan and Janice Lindskoog are experienced teachers. Joanna Jordan specializes in jazz and pops pedal harp. Heidi van Hoesen Gorton is the harpist in the Toronto Symphony.

    in reply to: The American Harp Journal- Carl Swanson #62192

    Thanks for this article, Carl! I just finished performing the Debussy Trio, having made those corrections after consulting Anton Sie, who had a sheet of errata. He had made this sheet after looking at the original manuscript. There was one spot where I was afraid to make the change for fear that people would think I was making a mistake (where the chord is supposed to be one beat later). I will be very interested to see your further articles. I will send you the errata sheet as well.

    in reply to: Playing blues on the harp #113522

    Learn how to play blues on your harp from I. Mac Perry.

    in reply to: Sunday in the Park with George #62175

    I don’t have the part, but all I can assume is that he means not to use a “trino” effect, strumming with the front and then the back of the finger. I would probably just do a two-hand trill effect.

    in reply to: On the artistry of faking #113501

    Ah, Diane. That made my day.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 954 total)