Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lever Harp parts for orchestra #183278

    Moncayo’s Huapango has a very tricky and exposed harp part, but it would work almost completely for lever harp except for one or two places. In those spots, the left hand could be left out while it flipped a lever. The harpist would need excellent technique, though.
    Here is a video of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2L5lbQ_e4

    in reply to: Gounod Faust #182925

    Thanks, Clinton! We just played a concert of excerpts from the opera. Some of the tempi were very fast, i.e. the prison scene in the finale. It would have been great to have a second harpist. If we play this again, I will try to get them to hire one.

    in reply to: VSO starts orchestra training program at Whistler, July 2015 #178639
    in reply to: VSO starts orchestra training program at Whistler, July 2015 #178636

    Whistler is beautiful in summer, and year-round as well. It is famous as a great ski resort in the winter (with year-round skiing on the glacier). There will be an announcement in early November as to the exact dates, but it will be held during the first 2 weeks on July.

    in reply to: Gounod Faust #176470

    Thanks, Sylvia. I stopped panicking and found good solutions to the problem spots.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #144668

    I love playing my pieces The Downstairs Spider and The Damselfly as a set. They are fun to play, on either lever and pedal harp, and are kid-friendly.

    in reply to: Classical rep for lever harp #144592

    Look at the Royal Conservatory of Music Syllabus, which is available online. They have a lot of suggestions for lever harp, graded for difficulty. There are other syllabi as well, such as Trinity College in the UK and ABRSM.

    in reply to: Burnout #144569

    If you are already reading articles such as the blogs on The Bulletproof Musician, then the problem may be your technique. This is almost impossible to develop without a good teacher. With the guidance of a teacher, Skyping if necessary, practise technique every day. Perhaps you would benefit from doing nothing but technical studies for a few months, to kick-start the process. Once you can run up and down scales, play noodly passages without falling off the strings, hit the harmonics every time, etc., then learn some pieces which are easy for you. Your next step would be to do “practice performances” of these easy pieces in front of an “audience” of stuffed toys or some similarly non-judgmental inert objects. Once you can play your “recital” satisfactorily in front of them, bring in family members, then raise the ante to neighbours. By the time you have done all this, your program will feel really good and you will feel much better taking it to the next stage. Do you have some good technical exercise books?

    in reply to: Lesson I am Learning #144395

    It amazes me that brides are willing to pay a huge amount for a DJ, a dress, cake, etc., but next to nothing for a harpist. Maybe it’s time we got a TV reality show with brides demanding really expensive, top-of-the-line musicians, and refusing to settle for cheaper, less competent varieties. That would change the perception! I really hope it is not about skin colour in this day and age.

    in reply to: Hello . #144384

    Dear Basel, That was what I had understood from your posting here. Now I see how I mis-read it.

    in reply to: Harp Chairs #144381

    The only time I use the back on my chair is when I am playing in the orchestra and sitting for long periods of time while counting tacet bars. One should sit at the front of the seat when playing, so it shouldn’t matter whether the chair has a back or not. Are you sitting all the way at the back of your chair? That might be part of the problem.
    I think Saul must mean that a back brace supports the core, but strengthening can only be done by exercises.

    in reply to: Hello . #144363

    I am very relieved to hear that you are somewhere safe, and with your harp, too. I am also very glad that your family is out of there. I hope that you will all be reunited, as soon as possible.

    in reply to: ein heldenleben. …. help….. #144353

    I have that section written out in enharmonics. If you email me, I can send it to you.

    in reply to: Best Book/Sites on Teaching Music #144352

    The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
    A Soprano On Her Head by Eloise Ristad
    The Logical Approach to Rhythmic Notation by Phil Perkins
    The Practice Revolution by Philip Johnston

    in reply to: Super-Nerves Stories #144351

    I recommend two books: The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle and The Practice Revolution by Philip Johnston. See if they help!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 954 total)