deb-l

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Looking for a Harp Circle #112225
    deb-l
    Participant

    thank you Zep! this is a great resource for anyone looking for a harp circle anywhere!!

    in reply to: favorite traditional/celtic/early music arrangements #112220
    deb-l
    Participant

    hi Gretchen, I had forgotten Ortiz’s books. I learned Paisaje from that years ago. Thanks for reminding me of his books, they are very detailed and have both easy and hard version. I’ve always wanted to learn the advanced version of the Bell Bird in his other book Latin American Harps History, Music and Techniques..but noticed that Vol 1 has an easy version. I still have the CD, I agree it’s very helpful to get the feel of the rhythms.

    in reply to: favorite traditional/celtic/early music arrangements #112217
    deb-l
    Participant

    I wish I could play by ear! Even when I throw in a chord that sounds just fine but isn’t on the printed page I feel as though I’ve made a mistake. I attended a workshop with Ray Poole on improv and found music theory confusing, but have always admired people who could make traditional tunes their own.

    in reply to: Violin #112116
    deb-l
    Participant

    I played flute, mandolin and cello. I lost interest in the flute and mandolin and was torn for years between cello and harp. I wasn’t able to get to the level I wanted to be at with either instrument trying to divide up and hour or two a day between them. I don’t want to spend more time than that practicing after sitting at a desk all day, so chose my favorite, the harp! To live a balanced and healthy life, and to cope with stress, I need to be more active when I’m not working so ballet and modern dance have been a better way for me to express myself musically and artistically. If my job were more physical and I had the time and energy I would probably play more than one instrument and pick up the cello again. Who knows what the future will bring. There is something about bowed instruments, they are so expressive (and challenging!) but they are almost meditative, you have to be relaxed but very focused, and it’s a different part of your brain that you use to find the right intonation on that fret-less fingerboard. One thing for sure though if you have any interest in classical on violin you will need years of lessons, don’t try to teach yourself or you will plateau and have lots of work to undo bad technique. That holds true for harp to some extent as well but not as much as for bowed instruments, IMHO. Fiddle and folk can be self taught though.

    in reply to: What inspired you to play the Harp? : ) #103398
    deb-l
    Participant

    I never knew lever harps existed until I was in my early 40s and was drawn to it’s otherworldly quality. I had been listening to and playing traditional music on my flute and mandolin and discovered Derek BelI’s ‘Carolan’s Receipt’. I was drawn to stories and pictures, videos, of people playing small lever harps outdoors in beautiful settings. I found Sylvia Wood’s ‘Teach Yourself Folk Harp’ and started my journey.

    in reply to: Where did he go? #102120
    deb-l
    Participant

    I also miss the old areas of posting. The new forum seems to be geared more towards professional or pre-professional harpists and as an adult beginner who doesn’t aspire to play the pedal harp or publicly I feel like I don’t belong anymore. I miss the old forum! This new forum seems more for serious harpists and not for people who just play for enjoyment. I don’t want to push to learn technically complex pieces anymore and am just enjoying learning to play simple songs beautifully.

    in reply to: What’s on your musical Christmas list for Santa? #112072
    deb-l
    Participant

    Ballet DVDs, instructional dance video’s and a dance card (10 lessons) are on my musical Christmas list.

    edit: guess I took care of my own harp christmas list, couldn’t resist this muse playing the harp picture to put up next to my harps. I hope she will inspire me.. looks like a decorated camac bardic harp, but it’s hard to judge size of harp the way she’s holding it.

    in reply to: Holiday music – how’s everyone? #112011
    deb-l
    Participant

    I’m very jealous Janet! I love the harp part for the adagio following the sugar plum fairy dance. I guess playing the Nutcracker 20 times might seem a little much, . I love how the harp is featured in ballet. Your very lucky to play such a beautiful piece professionally.

    in reply to: anyone going to NY Renaissance Faire? #103145
    deb-l
    Participant

    hi Sarah, too bad Saturday was a washout, was not able to make it Sunday. It’s a 2 hr drive one way, I can’t do the 4hrs in one day without a long weekend and my husband (and driver : ) ) has no more vaca time.

    in reply to: Don’t know where to start or even if I should ! #103157
    deb-l
    Participant

    of course you should start, once the harp bug gets you there’s no other choice.

    in reply to: Serious original pieces written for Celtic harp #102184
    deb-l
    Participant

    Sarah, I hope you transcribe Autumn King.

    in reply to: anyone going to NY Renaissance Faire? #103141
    deb-l
    Participant

    hi Sarah, trying to get to the Ren Faire next Sat the 8th. Hope to see you then!

    in reply to: Gilligan is going back to Florida. #103211
    deb-l
    Participant

    you played very well Sherry, you get a really nice tone out of your harp.

    in reply to: ?Small harp with LOWEST notes? #69049
    deb-l
    Participant

    how portable are you looking for?

    deb-l
    Participant

    so embarrassed 4rth post today, need to get to work

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 961 total)