harpcolumn

favorite traditional/celtic/early music arrangements

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break favorite traditional/celtic/early music arrangements

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

The same tune can sound so differently depending on how it’s arranged. I find I really like the haunting keys and simple arrangements of Dominig Bouchaud best. I’ve been playing mostly out of Panorama de la harpe celtique for the past 6 months. I also pick up Nancy Hurrell’s Historical Harp Collection and Janet Harbison’s Traditional Irish Harp Tudor vol 3. I will always love Derek Bell’s Carolan’s Receipt and sometimes dabble in Deborah Friou’s Ballads and Court Dances of the 16th and 17th centuries. I like simple uncomplicated arrangements so that the melody can shine and I think it sounds more haunting and has more of an authentic early sound.

What are your favorite traditional arrangements? I was thinking of putting these on my ‘music stand’ but it appears more geared towards the piece you are learning which can be a completely different animal depending on how it’s arranged. There is a section for the composer but again, I find a lot depends on the arrangement and was wondering what other favorites people have found that they’d like to recommend.

andee-craig
    Participant

I’ve learned most of my music by ear but my teacher and I both love Grainne Hambly’s arrangements. I suspect my teacher is influenced by her. Simple left hand with a bit of off-beat or playing into the downbeat. I no longer take lessons but for new tunes I make up my own left hand keeping it simple and mostly on the beat. I wish I was better at syncopation.

deb-l
    Participant

I wish I could play by ear! Even when I throw in a chord that sounds just fine but isn’t on the printed page I feel as though I’ve made a mistake. I attended a workshop with Ray Poole on improv and found music theory confusing, but have always admired people who could make traditional tunes their own.

andee-craig
    Participant

I’m really grateful for the teacher I had and for the way she taught me. I learned theory little by little as we went along. But with Irish dance tunes there aren’t *that* many things you can do chord-wise. Once you know what key it’s in (modal tunes throw a small monkey wrench into the works) you can use any other tune that you already know in that key as a guide, sort of.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Deb, you may want to try The International Rhythmic Collection Vol. 1 (second edition) byt Dr. Alfredo Rolando Ortiz. It is designed to be used by all levels of harpists. On a whim, I also bought the companion CD. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I learned from the CD. The back page of the book has accompaniment patterns. It is available through Melody Folk Harp and other places that carry harp music. Dr. Ortiz’s website is http://www.alfredo-rolando-ortiz.com

deb-l
    Participant

hi Gretchen, I had forgotten Ortiz’s books. I learned Paisaje from that years ago. Thanks for reminding me of his books, they are very detailed and have both easy and hard version. I’ve always wanted to learn the advanced version of the Bell Bird in his other book Latin American Harps History, Music and Techniques..but noticed that Vol 1 has an easy version. I still have the CD, I agree it’s very helpful to get the feel of the rhythms.

I’m a big fan of Beth Kolle’s books. A lot of open fifths and time for the bass to ring. I also like the Scandinavian pieces that she includes because the harmonies and modes are so unusual. The duets are pretty versatile as well. I’ve done them with two harps and harp and flute

deb-l
    Participant

hi Jennifer, I just checked out Beth Kolle’s books and The Northern Folk harp has an accompanying CD. I enjoy unusual harmonies and modes, which is why I think I have been stuck on the french school sound for so long, so am looking forward to trying some of her books. I have two family members that I try to coerce into playing violin and mandolin with me and she has arrangements as you mentioned for harp and C instrument. Thanks for mentioning her books!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies