harpcolumn

notation and key question Bouchard’s Panorama de la harpe celtique

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists notation and key question Bouchard’s Panorama de la harpe celtique

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

I’m working on Dominig Bouchard’s beautiful 2nd arrangement for Roslin Castle from Panaorama de la harpe celtique.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Deb! A mixed up key signature can sometimes be a way of indicating that a piece has been written in a mode that is different from what we expect to hear in a major or minor scale.

Modal music is frequently written in a traditional key signature with accidentals used to raise or lower specific notes, but if a composer is expressing sounds as he wishes to do so using a key signature of one sharp and one flat, there is no local, state, or federal law preventing him or her from doing so. This is more familiar in folk and jazz and generally not so familiar in Traditional Western music, but even there, some composers during the past 100 or so years did some of this notation experimenting too.

Keep in mind though that the composer you mentioned may also have had something different in mind.

I’m not familiar with “the backward slash” but hopefully someone else will fill us in on that. I’d like to know too.

Donna O
    Participant

Deb,

deb-l
    Participant

Donna, thank you that is it, slash is through the stem.

deb-l
    Participant

it’s the whole set of 5 notes that are an embelishment, worth the practice time to get this right.

deb-l
    Participant

I think I found the type of ornamentation in Harbison’s Traditional Irish Harp Tudor 3.

deb-l
    Participant

so embarrassed 4rth post today, need to get to work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies