harpcolumn

Some Advice Please

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Some Advice Please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author

There are several harpists who teach online.

Tacye
    Participant

Hobgoblin (I assume this is the Bristol shop you are thinking of) has only a limited range of harps- the Stoney Ends are nice, but only one option.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Regarding the Sylvia Woods DVD:

I had a real problem with this DVD- it wouldn’t play at all on my DVD player (it’s a combo player, Samsung). I returned the first one, got a second, and had the SAME problem. It kept skipping forward lessons, wouldn’t go to menu, etc. Maybe your explanation explains why this happened, but it will play on my computer and my kids Xbox 360. But I’m in the U.S., so how does that figure? This has puzzled me for a long time. All my other DVD’s work just fine on this player. Any thoughts?

alice-freeman
    Spectator

My therapeutic musician training was online with a 90-minute class every Friday night for eight months using Skype. We had 4 students from the US and 2 from Australia in the class and it worked just fine (especially playing our harps for each other during the session). Our group still meets once a month on Skype for an informal

unknown-user
    Participant

Some good ideas.

unknown-user
    Participant

Tayce.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

If it said “rosewood” and “carved,” it’s a Pakistani.

If you can describe the other harp you were interested in, maybe we can help you figure out what it was. Was there anything distinctive about it?

Karen, I can’t think of why the Woods DVD wouldn’t play in your machine.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

It may have something to do with the way the DVD was made and the age of the machine that plays it. Some older players will not read some newer DVDs properly, especially if the DVDs are duplicated on computers on writable discs as opposed to those DVDs commercially duplicated in factories. It’s an electronic thing I don’t really understand so can’t explain it well.

Fiona, you have had so much piano, you will not be truly satisfied with a harp without levers. It would be like only using the white keys of the piano. Also, if you contact United Kingdom Harpists Association, they can probably give you the name of your nearest harp teacher. If that teacher is still too far, he or she may have a student advanced enough on the harp to teach lessons, who is even nearer. Some people moved away from London into the countryside, after the tragic subway bombing.

Hi Fiona,

There are loads of harp teachers here, I’d be surprised if there was nobody at all near to you. The Clarsach Society are a good port of call, and their website has listings for teachers UK-wide. If that doesn’t help, try contacting local orchestras. Most of them will have harpists on their books who should be able to help you out.

Good luck,

Liath

Oh, btw – I wonder if the harp with a sound clip was one of the Telynau Teifi harps? They are absolutely gorgeous, with a really rich sound. (Heavy, though!)

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Fiona,

Just another perspective.

Liam M
    Participant

Fionna,

unknown-user
    Participant

Today’s news is I’ve had a response from the seller and have e-mailed him again for more details so expect a response later on this evening – or a phone call as he hasn’t sold the harp yet.

I doubt if I’ll go to the really serious stuff as getting a harp is going to be primarily for my own enjoyment plus a bit of playing (hopefully) now and again with friends.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The big question with a Paki is “will it be playable”?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.