catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Good amps for lever harp #71812
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I’ve had good luck with the Peavy solo amp and the Crate Limo amp. They each run on batteries or AC adapter. The Peavy weighs about 12 lbs. and can run on eight D batteries. The Limo weighs about 24 lbs. and has its own built-in rechargeable battery. The latter costs more than the former but you can sometimes find a deal online. Of course, much depends on the quality of the microphone you use.

    in reply to: Sheet Music for Anonymous Romance #166078
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Barbara Brundage has arranged it for lever harp in her collection “Classics on Request” (vol. 1). It’s called “Romanza” by anonymous. Her arrangements and Eleanor Fell’s are excellent so you couldn’t go wrong with either (or both!).

    in reply to: Raymonda by Glazunov #148023
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I bought the “Prelude et Variation” years ago from FC Publishing Company; it was transcribed by Faith Carman in 1987. It’s just 3 pages. It’s in C but I like to play it in Cb for a more resonant sound.

    in reply to: Berio Sequenza II #148049
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I think Susan Jolles, Erica Goodman and Anna Verkholantseva have performed it. Have you seen this article?

    http://ml.oxfordjournals.org/content/89/4/677.extract

    in reply to: tuning at gigs #148028
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You didn’t do anything wrong, dear; those were ignorant people without class or manners. Tune your harp and tune out any tacky comments!

    in reply to: Reverie “harp” tuning? #72017
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I’m not familiar with that harp, but the number probably refers to the octave. As you likely know, octaves on harps run from E down to F. Middle C is in the 4th octave, so middle C is 4th octave F or F4. The highest octave (shortest strings) is 1st octave and so on, down to the bottom 3 wire strings on a concert grand which are 7th octave E, D and C. Also, the top two strings on a concert grand are just above the first octave and are 0F and 00G (zero F and zero zero G).

    Smaller harps don’t necessarily start at the uppermost limit and count down. If you can find middle C on your harp, you can figure out what octaves are on it from there.

    in reply to: John Rutter’s Requiem harp #148106
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I’m playing the Rutter this weekend. It’s been a rough week for other reasons and your post really brought a smile to my face. Thanks, David!

    in reply to: Osvaldo Golijovsons #147980
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    What is the name of the piece by Osvaldo Golijov? The ASO has performed more than one of his works.

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You can be sure it will fit in the Dodge and it will probably get better milage than the other two.

    in reply to: Reusing leftover zip-close string bags #148282
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I use them for jewelry when traveling, as you do. Also good for packing bars of special soap, or anything else that might leak, for trips.

    When I change strings each year, I save the old strings that can still be used. I put them in those bags for future emergency use on lever harps (labeled, of course).

    I also use the bags to organize rubber bands, batteries that may still have some charge in them, and twist ties in the kitchen drawer.

    in reply to: Following up leads from Bridal Shows #148295
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I used to do (very expensive) print advertising that furnished lead lists and have done a few bridal shows which gave them, but I never got any response to calls, emails, mailers or any kind of follow-up from me. I figure if they’re interested in harp music, they’ll use my readily available contact info to reach me, but my pursuing them never resulted in any paying work. The best you can do is let people know you exist and what service you offer; then it’s up to them.

    in reply to: Cracked Neck #72206
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    It can be repaired but I suspect that will mean replacing the neck. The original builders should do it, if possible.

    in reply to: Smelly harp? #106540
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    When I played in restaurants, I didn’t notice the harp absorbing any odors. I did play on two harps which stayed for years in restaurants and did pick up a slight coating of grease on the strings from exposure (for many years) to that in the air, even though they weren’t near the kitchen. It wasn’t hard to get rid of, according to the owners.

    Fortunately most restaurants don’t permit smoking anymore, so that won’t be a problem. I’ve seen harps that had an orange tinge from years of exposure to nicotine in the air. Same thing happens to the walls and furniture in the smoker’s home.

    in reply to: Alternative strings for a vegetarian harpist? #72304
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Pedal harps can be strung with nylon instead of gut. If you buy a second-hand harp and change the strings from gut to nylon, you should have it regulated to accommodate the difference. Be aware that 5th octave nylons can sound kind of dull compared to gut. If you do this, consider recycling the gut strings you remove by donating them to another harpist. They’re expensive and there’s no point in wasting them. Put them in the envelopes the nylons came in so there’s no confusion.

    in reply to: another harp sighting – #106582
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I just watched the clip. The note below says his name is David Snell. Anyone know him?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 584 total)