catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Washburn by Lyon & Healy #70135
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Shannon, any thoughts on who you would like to restore the harp?

    in reply to: Flying Dutchman #146424
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    During the first act of Hansel and Gretel, I remember embroidering Christmas stockings for a friend’s children.

    in reply to: I’m going to Chicago to see the harp factories soon! #104267
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    A friend told me there is a nice restaurant across the street from Lyon & Healy. You could have lunch there.

    in reply to: Minimum Temperature for Playing Outside #70263
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Maybe it’s that harps and strings have become much more expensive. Not looking forward to losing the last of my Classic gut strings and having to replace with the more expensive Bow Brand, but that’s the way it goes. High humidity does make my gut strings wear out much faster.

    in reply to: Who Is This King cantata – harp part #146484
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Probably need to check your part against the full score or the rehearsal piano reduction to find out what’s going on before and after those glissandi so you’ll know what chord or key you’re sliding toward. That will help you choose the pedals settings you’ll need. Sometimes when they’re written in, they still don’t sound right with the rest of the orchestra and you have to make some judicious changes. If it’s convenient for you to sit in on a prior rehearsal, maybe you can get the info you need.

    in reply to: looking for . . . #146505
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Sylvia Woods’ “Hymns and Wedding Music for All Harps” has simple arrangements which you can adapt for your student.

    in reply to: Popular Harp Music #104422
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Check out Ray Pool’s collections. There are several books of standards plus a book of Christmas tunes. Also the Salvi Pop collections which were formerly available as individual pieces–some challenging arrangements by Michael Amorosi, Stella Castelluci, Verlye Mills, et al. Jan Jennings, Paul Baker and David Ice have put some good arrangements out there. Scan through the popular music on the Vanderbilt and Lyon & Healy websites. Lots of good stuff.

    in reply to: Problem with Lyon and Healy harp cart #70204
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I love my cart (no longer in production) and have had to replace the strap over the years several times from wear. I buy it from a fabric store; looks like seat belt strapping. You can use the hardware from the original and just make a longer one to suit your needs.

    in reply to: Our Purpose as Musicians #104431
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    That was one of the most moving addresses I’ve ever read. Thank you for sharing it.

    in reply to: Seeking Arrangement of “I Dreamed a Dream” #104435
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I use the original piano version; very playable on pedal harp.

    in reply to: Russian 46 pedal harp #156361
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Maybe you could rent the Russian harp while you’re waiting for a different one to become available.

    in reply to: Sad news for lovers of the Style 17 #70332
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Where did you hear this news? There’s nothing that I could find on the Lyon & Healy website, but I’m not the best on searching the internet.

    in reply to: Sad news for lovers of the Style 17 #70329
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The value of any harp is what people are willing to pay for it, not its scarcity, although that can be a factor for some. The 17 was never a big seller compared to other models, probably because it was the most expensive semi-grand Lyon & Healy made (until they brought back some of the discontinued, early 20th century gilded models in the 1980s), but the soundboard was narrower than a concert grand, so the sound was never as large. I had one I loved for 32 years and it was marvelous from day one, but I finally sold it because it wasn’t being played as it deserved. Why? Because I needed the extra volume of a concert grand in orchestra, and I had a smaller, lighter weight 44-string for casual jobs. If it had weighed less or had a wider soundboard, I probably would have kept it.

    in reply to: 40 strings enough for pedal harp (for lightweights) #104297
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    If I could afford all the harps I want, I would buy one such. There is nothing like the sound of a Lyon & Healy. I think it is the standard by which all others are measured.

    in reply to: 40 strings enough for pedal harp (for lightweights) #104294
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Those older, smaller Lyon & Healys are usually lovely to play and have a great sound. Never heard any negatives about them.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 584 total)