Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Save the antique harp on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #163415

    I would love to see those pictures. Did that harp work at all?

    The wood blocking the pedal slots was extremely odd.

    in reply to: Save the antique harp on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #163413

    John, that looks like a different harp than the one on Ebay numbered 1043 that I found. Here is it’s pedals (hope the pic shows up):

    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/jzydek/oldebayharp.jpg

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145726

    I’ve only been playing harp a couple of years, and I have only had 2 professional gigs, and YES already someone said, “Don’t you wish you played flute?” to which I replied, “No, I don’t wish I played flute because I DO play flute. Harp is more fun.” And I do play flute, and it’s true. And EVERYONE asks me how much

    in reply to: OT–Fabulous organ concert #111582

    My husband played a concert in the conference center in SLC in ’86. As I recall it was a 3 manual Sipe. He also plays a transcription of Pictures. It works really well on organ. Fancy footwork isn’t that impressive really……It’s just another keyboard and you learn how to get around on it. But it IS fun to watch. Before I was an organist it was fascinating to me. When I learned how to do it it was just fun!!

    in reply to: OT–Fabulous organ concert #111580

    I might if you told me where you were, what kind/size organ was it and who was playing?

    in reply to: Broken string help #111591

    I wouldn’t do that. Just order another string and have it shipped overnight.

    in reply to: Choosing first harp #163453

    Marcia, check out the Virginia Harp Center (call them) or the Harp Connection. Both do rentals that are not limited to one state. I wouldn’t suggest a particular model to you because my taste will not be the same as yours. Most of the less expensive harps I have played have a

    in reply to: A pain in the neck #161370

    Jennifer, you are so right. I didn’t actually mean weighing it on your shoulder, I just meant to put more of the knee block up higher than to have it at your collarbone. Yes, it should be balanced so that when it tips back, it is balanced correctly and not weighing your shoulder down.

    Briggs

    in reply to: A pain in the neck #161368

    I have a Troubadour and had the same problem. I am very tall. I could NOT get comfortable at the Troub. I still can’t really. I went almost immediately to pedal harp and find it much more comfortable (not to mention more to my taste musically), but I still play the Troub. I find now if I sit a little lower and get the harp more on my shoulder like a pedal harp it’s not quite so bad. I had to get in an odd angle to play that thing sitting in my normal harp chair. Also, if you are new at the harp, it seemed to me that I had to develop “harp muscles” — that is my body had to adjust to having the harp on my body with my arms working in the position they need to in order to play. I had some odd aches and pains for the first 6 months or so……they are, for the most part gone.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Relatives play? #111601

    I think the harp is only charming to those who are really obsessed with it. It always just astounds me that not everyone who looks at it wants to sit down and play it. HAHAHAHAHA…..actually it’s kind of funny to me that I actually can’t believe people don’t just want to have one and learn one. Everyone in my family loves to hear me play my harp and thinks it is very cool that I play the harp, but no one else wants to learn it. I asked my brother (who plays the piano) “How can you NOT want to learn it?” and he just

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166848

    Curly,

    Thanks for the tip on the hot water. I never thought of it and will keep it in mind.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166844

    Emily, I had a similar problem. Elizabeth is right, but I just want to add since I went through the same thing….you MUST be aware of your tension and as soon as you feel it you need to stop…..play one hand at a time as Ms. Volpe instructs. Don’t try to keep going because the tension just increases. Pay attention for the very beginning of your tension.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #166747

    I do, and mine is wonderful.

    Briggs

    in reply to: How many gardening harpists out there? #111266

    I have a rock garden and a garden all around my patio, and another around my deck. Then I have one under the bedroom window, one along the front of the house, one along the garage and a small garden out in front where my maple tree is with a fountain. It’s too much work as time goes on. I hate the intense heat we have gotten in the past few years. The gardens need work. I will try to get out there in the early spring and drop a bunch of Preen down when I see that the good stuff has come up already. Guaranteed I will have to plant some new things in the patio garden. It was too dry last year and I lost some good stuff. We’ll see. The thing I like is watching it all come up. The thing I hate is weeding. YUCK.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163342

    I have read the book, but it was awhile back. I stand corrected. It was Greer Garson who played the harp. I enjoy old movies…..I don’t really care how accurate they are. Gone With The Wind won tons of oscars and it was GROSSLY inaccurate to the book, but I still love it. 🙂

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 717 total)