harpcolumn

Reading music – through the strings?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Reading music – through the strings?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mel Sandberg
    Participant

As I read this thread, I saved up my response…… I also grew up with the fact that Osian Ellis had the music on the right, but I also had no evidence with which to substantiate this.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Michael…. some other of the cumbersome aspects are that eg. the electronic music stand looks like a heavy piece of equipment, and another trip to the car, also one is not going to be able to leave it

Out for pedal harpists???? Surely you jest! As an organist who plays tunes with her feet along with working swell shades and a crescendo pedal and pushing toe studs…..um tapping a page turn with my foot while playing pedal harp would be a piece o’ cake.

Briggsie

Karen Johns
    Participant

I also memorize my pieces, Mel. For ensemble work, I condense my accompaniment into chords for easier “memory triggering”. Sometimes I do this with the left hand too. Learning your basic chords is a fundamental, I believe the earlier the better. Reading through the strings? I can do it, but then I also can sight read the melody line and not have to look at the strings (for the most part). My fingers are just used to the strings, that’s all.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Briggsie-

You make me laugh! I can’t wait until December…..(wink)

Karen

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Mel,

Your points concerning the downsides of laptops, or laptop-like devices:

• The security/leaving unattended issue for a laptop – yes, I could see that that could pose a problem.
    Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Briggsie, have you ever done the Damase Sonata for Flute and Harp?, or Mandoline of Parish-Alvars, or Reveries of Parish-Alvars?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.