Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How to buy a $60,000 antique harp for $2,400! #75657

    This was discussed either here or on harplist at yahoo groups. The appraiser was a violin appraiser, and from what I read it was an appraisal that was totally wrong. I know now, it was on yahoogroups, the harplist.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp Column issue arrival #109023

    Mine just got here today.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #84382

    Karen, I wouldn’t call what I commented an attack. I see this quite often here where things are multi-posted on 3 or 4 different topic areas. It’s just not necessary and gets to be a minor annoyance when it happens over and over again.

    Briggs

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #85605

    Karen, I wouldn’t call what I commented an attack. I see this quite often here where things are multi-posted on 3 or 4 different topic areas. It’s just not necessary and gets to be a minor annoyance when it happens over and over again.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Claude Bolling Suite #146580

    Yes.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Urgent stringing question #160060

    Audrey, here’s another little trick so you won’t need two sets of hands. Get some clothespins….the kind with the spring….good strong wooden ones. After you pull the string through the hole, pull it taut and then put a clothespin on it right at the soundboard to hold it tight until you can thread it through the pin at the top.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #84375

    I understand you liked this book, but did you really have to post it on more than one thread?

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #85598

    I understand you liked this book, but did you really have to post it on more than one thread?

    in reply to: Urgent stringing question #160047

    I would undo it, run it back through the soundboard hole, take a string end and stick it through the knot, pull the knot as tightly as I could around the string end, and then push it back up and wind it back on the peg. It’s not going to be in tune for a couple of weeks most likely anyway.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73854

    Brook,

    Obviously we are on different playing fields when it comes to $$$. To me that is a lot of money — even for a good lever harp. I found something I like for much less money, but if you want it and can do it, go for it.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Magic moment with 4yr old #160065

    You need to store your picture on a website such as photobucket.com or one of those. Then you can link to it using the url.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73843

    I played one at the AHS conference in Dearborn last year. I thought it was maybe the best lever harp I ever played, but they are too expensive for me. My money goes into my pedal harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Scales and arpeggios #82537

    I’m back for a second post, too. I was just thinking, with all the other stuff you have to do on the harp, just like playing the organ — there is a bunch of “stuff” you have to be concerned with — you better have a good technique and just be able to fly on the strings (as on the keys on the organ) when you begin playing advanced literature. I have heard organists who had no piano background, and it is often, if not always, pretty dismal. You need a good technical background as a keyboard player before you can work all “them thar gadgets” and move your feet efficiently. Same with the harp — you better be able to zoom around the strings with ease before you start messing with multiple pedal changes and all the other things you have to be concerned with on the harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Scales and arpeggios #82536

    I agree with Carl. Try playing a Bach transcription on harp without having practiced a lot of scale exercises. Good luck.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Flying Commercial Airlines with a Lever Harp #109103

    Take the advice of everyone who has posted above this one. DON’T DO IT! I can still remember reading either here or another forum I read of a harpist whose valuable harp was stolen after it was checked as baggage on an airline. I’d never EVER check my harp as baggage, no matter how well it was packed. NEVER.

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 717 total)