barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Advice on renting #160228
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If your budget extends to lessons (a very good idea), your best bet is to find a teacher first. They often have harps to rent to their students.

    in reply to: Stiff Levers #75829
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If they’re metal, yes, but I’d never do that on plastic.

    in reply to: Another Harpmobile Question! #75765
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    This works fine if you are looking at huge square vehicles, but for smaller cars, cars with angled back windows, it’s totally possible for the cover to fit fine but for there not to be enough height clearance for the base of the harp, so don’t rely only on this, although it can be useful for weeding out definite no-goes.

    in reply to: Cleaning Harp Strings #75870
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Unlike Saul, I NEVER put anything damp on a gut string, so there are different schools of thought on this. A wipe with a dry soft cloth (you’ll have to do each string separately to get the part where the fingers actually touch) should do it.

    in reply to: What is this piece? #151729
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, she does. And that’s a Venus Aquilan, I think.

    in reply to: Turning Pages #160242
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yeah, it’s not always possible, but there’s usually a spot near the turn that would only require memorizing a few measures.

    For some pieces, like La Source, for example, there’s just no way, though. Sometimes you have to memorize or have a turner, unfortunately.

    in reply to: can I still put new strings after a regulation? #75886
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Good luck with your concert!

    in reply to: can I still put new strings after a regulation? #75882
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I wouldn’t think there’s any way on earth you could get a whole set of nylons to hold pitch in a week’s time, even if you had people tuning in relays 24/7 until then.

    in reply to: What to charge #151758
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    And some smart lever harpists charge the same and pocket the difference. I believe Ray Pool said once he does that: charges his standard rate and takes his Dusty in the subway to gigs.

    in reply to: What to charge #151755
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should add that I play both pedal and lever harp and I charge exactly the same for them. Nobody but other harpists cares how you make your sharps and flats.

    in reply to: What to charge #151754
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Why? It’s your skill they’re hiring, not the particular harp you want to bring. Should I get paid more if my concert grand cost more than your semigrand?

    Regardless of the kind of harp you play you have these expenses that the organist/singer do not:

    instrument.
    strings
    insurance
    vehicle to haul it around and fuel for that vehicle

    etc.

    in reply to: What to charge #151752
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >certainly more than an organist or singer, but not too much more.

    Harpists generally get MUCH more than an organist or singer, who only has bring himself/herself and not lug a harp.

    in reply to: Height for L&H Ogden Music Stand #160283
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I love my Anderson stand, but it might be a bit too modern looking for what you want (pricey, too);

    http://www.andersonmusicstand.com/index.html

    It does go very low, though.

    in reply to: lever harp dilema #75914
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also check with VA and Atlanta Harp Center. They make several trips to FL during the year for various events and just to deliver instruments and they’re always happy to bring along more instruments for someone to try. They’re very accommodating. I think one of them *may* be in Orlando this weekend for the harp event, but I don’t know:

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/calendar/item?event_id=6482687

    in reply to: French Harp Repertoire #151761
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, one that comes to mind is the Samuel Rousseau ‘Variations Pastorales’.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,501 total)