barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Advise Needed on Harp Purchase #166591
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, personally I would not recommend those, not now. It used to be that there were no other inexpensive choices, but that has changed. In descending order of cost, depending on your budget I would recommend a Dusty Strings Ravenna, something from the Harpsicle tribe, one of the music makers kit harps.

    But my real recommendation would be to find a teacher instead. Many teachers have harps they rent quite inexpensively to students and this will give her a chance to find out how much she likes it while playing on a decent instrument without a huge outlay up front.

    The Pakistani harps are very cute and I do recommend them, often, to people who just want a harp for a decor object.

    in reply to: Advise Needed on Harp Purchase #166589
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It’s made in Pakistan. See this thread for a current discussion about those harps:

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message%5fid=239101

    in reply to: Music by Harpo Marx #109136
    barbara-brundage
    Participant
    in reply to: Dark sounding first harp? #75743
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If you are going to have lessons, I’d start by finding a teacher. Lots of teachers have harps to rent inexpensively to students and once you’ve been playing a bit you’ll have a better idea of what you want in a harp sound, and whether you even like the sound of any small harp.

    in reply to: If #109092
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There was a very nice pedal harp arrangement that was published in the old Salvi series. I don’t know if it’s still available, but I think you have to buy those as a collection now.

    in reply to: Does/did your teacher ever expect too much? #145024
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Clinton. I know a lot of orchestral harpists who aren’t signed up at gliiss, and it’s great to have this where they can find it.

    in reply to: Does/did your teacher ever expect too much? #145023
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hello, Clinton.

    Unfortunately, that’s not going to be too helpful for a lot of people, since gliiss.com is an invitation-only website. If you’re not logged in and you don’t have an account, there’s no way at all to see anything posted there.

    in reply to: Transport #75794
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Some harpists carry a doormat sized piece of carpet to put under the harp feet when they rest on the ground in loading and unloading.

    Yes, I keep a washable bath rug in the car and stand the harp on that when unloading and loading it. Then I can throw it in the washer when it gets too grotty.

    in reply to: Transport #75792
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    …skidding off the dolly or of losing control when laying the harp down as it attempts to skate away on that slick base cover surface, I meant to say.

    in reply to: Transport #75791
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, you have to be careful. I do wrap up the base once it’s in the car, but I regard the occasional scratch as preferable to the likelihood (high, in my case) of the harp skidding of the dolly altogether.

    Ultimately, you can have a working harp or a pristine harp, no matter how careful you are. If you gig on it, it will pick up the occasional ding or scratch. That’s just life.

    in reply to: Transport #75788
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I never use the base cover myself, not even for my gold harps, since it does make them very slippery on the carrier.

    in reply to: Advice on renting #160239
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    By Miami, I meant “Miami-Dade County.”

    in reply to: Advice on renting #160236
    barbara-brundage
    Participant
    in reply to: Advice on renting #160234
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There are dozens of harpists in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale! Just open the yellow pages.

    in reply to: Advice on renting #160231
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Where are you located, Yire?

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,501 total)