Advice on renting

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #160227

I have been searching for harps for quite a while now and I’m still very undecisive. I have NEVER played the harp before, although I have played piano for two years and have taken music theory classes. I don’t think that would help me much, but I definitely want a harp with a good range. I’ve been reading that usually 34-36 strings is the way to go.

However, I’m just a student with a less than 20-hour a week job and I don’t have a big budget. I was looking for harps no more than two thousand dollars, but i’ve found that to be very difficult.

I don’t have access to harps anywhere near by. They are atleast 5+ hours away and I do not drive and I don’t have anyone willing to drive that far for me.

So I found an “Aida 34 string” Salvi harp that is available to rent (at harp connection) and costs 2,100. It’s quite reasonable at $50 a month and I was wondering if anyone had anythin constructive to say about the Salvi harps? Would it be a good harp to start off and last many years with?

Does anyone recommend any other harp with a price within my budget and that is also available for rent?

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #160228

If your budget extends to lessons (a very good idea), your best bet is to find a teacher first. They often have harps to rent to their students.

Participant
    unknown-user on #160229

I tried searching for that too, but a teacher is not possible. They’re possibly maybe 7-9 hours away.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #160230

Yire-

Salvi harps are great harps.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #160231

Where are you located, Yire?

Participant
    unknown-user on #160232

I started on a Salvi Rental two and a half years ago.

Participant
    unknown-user on #160233

All the way down in Hialeah, FL

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #160234

There are dozens of harpists in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale! Just open the yellow pages.

Spectator
    marguerite-lynn-williams on #160235

Yire,

Try contacting Dickie Fleischer at http://www.budgetharprentals.net.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #160236

also:

http://harpsfl.org/members.html

Participant
    unknown-user on #160237

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are too far for me. I don’t drive and no one I know is willing to drive me atleast an hour away for classes. My mother gave me heck for my piano classes and it was about 25 minutes away.

Maybe when I learn how to drive but classes aren’t an option for me at the moment. I will maybe look into online classes.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #160238

Try googling for harp lessons + skype.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #160239

By Miami, I meant “Miami-Dade County.”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.