Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
adam-b-harris
ParticipantTurned out great. Bit creepy like the Blair Witch Project, particularly that building with the graffiti on it. Like the way the rainstick stereo pans at the end.
Good luck with the ep.
How did you syncronize the glisses and the last three chords at the end? Were you playing with a recording or did you use some sort of timestretch editing to get the visual to match the recording?
adam-b-harris
ParticipantEric, what kind of mic are you using at the moment? Also as you are probably aware you can spend as much as you want on microphones. Giving me some idea of your upper limit would help me make a recommendation.
cheers, adam
adam-b-harris
Participantyeah, pretty much what everybody has said here. “Not in the budget” doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t have the money, it means they don’t wish to pay you. Typically these people may try something on like, “you may be offered other bookings” and has been mentioned here yes you will. Other unpaid bookings.
The last time this happenned, was for a promotional/non profit food and wine festival some 120kilometres away from my house. I told them, “i’m having a party next month, drive 120kms to my place with your food and wine. you can hand out business cards and you might get some bookings out of it”. He still didn’t get it.
I also have a policy where I tell these people straight out “I do three freebies a year and they are taken for this year but if you would like I can put it in the diary for next year” They never get back to you.
I actually do a number of freebies a year, but its generally a case of me approaching them because its either something I believe it or something that I genuinely believe will help my career.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantI recorded this concert a couple of months ago with a Panasonic HD900 and a Rode Stereovideo Mic.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantKirsten,
Probably somebody is going to have a go at me for saying this, but have you looked at getting something like the Akai EWI. It is a midi breath controller that can run sound samples from a laptop computer. It has an option for it to be used with trumpet fingering. So you can play pretty much any sound from a software sampler or synthesizer with it. It comes with a sound library from Garritan with a few usuable sounds. US $299 or less if you shop around. Then you need a PC and probably an amplifier of some kind…..
Just might broaden your options.
cheers Adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantGlad you liked it Steven. I was concerned that it was a bit controversial as I’m not sure that there are many synth music fans here.
I could have used any three minutes of that movie, as he was doing all that stuff throughout. Fine little fellow but seems to have a thing about fighting, shooting, blowing things up and of course flying.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThanks John, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the harp to sit in the mix. So I added a bit of a chorus effect and compressed it and used some brick wall limiting on the final mix. So thats probably why it sounds a little on the electric side.
It was an interesting experiment, but it made me realize why there isn’t a plethora of synth/techno harp performers around. It definately goes against the grain somehow.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThanks Sarah, I’m pretty sure that MST3K was never shown in Australia, well not on free to air networks anyway. I have seen something similiar though. Pre internet days, studio execs would get on a plane to the US and spend a week in a hotel room video taping everything that looked popular. They would come back to Australia and a great new show
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThats great, Tony quick thinking. One of the most rewarding things about playing out is seeing how the little kids react to it. I’m sure the memory will stick with him for a long time.
Shelby, it was a musicmakers limerick. I also have a ravenna 34 and a little wireharp made by the wonderful William MacDonald. Trying to get a camac clio with extended soundboard this year. Hoping I can limit myself to four harps.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThis is probably going to fall into the category of cute rather than strange – I’d just received a new harp and decided to take it down to the local coffee shop for a burn. So I was sitting in the shop playing some tunes and a little girl of about 4
adam-b-harris
ParticipantMany of them are going to find whatever you have to say as interesting as the music.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantEverytime I’m out somewhere playing I get the “did you make it” question as well. Every single time. So I just say “no, but somebody did”. If someone tells me that harps are supposed to be big I just say that they weren’t always that big – how would you be able to get it on your horse. Funnily enough most people see the sense in that.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantWell I wouldn’t call it “shameless” self promotion. Nice work and snappy lever flips though. Although I’m a prog rock fan, I’m not familiar with the tune. I’m sure you nailed it.
Really good to see somebody doing something a bit different. Coming from a commercial music/rock/jazz background I like to see the uses for the instrument stretched a bit.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantGreat site Paul!
adam-b-harris
ParticipantIn my other post I was really talking about using a click track for ensemble work. Not really necessary for solo harp but you may want to use one anyway depending on what you are doing.
Click track bleed can be a real pain when working with acoustic instruments. I use Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones which are excellent for minimizing these problems. The trouble is, as the bit that goes over your ear is a bit hefty, I find myself having to tilt my head to the left a little to stop it from knocking into the harp!
Also I’ve found that if you an EQ the click so as some of the high frequencies are rolled off then there is less chance of it bleeding through.
-
AuthorPosts