harpcolumn

Where do the bad harp go?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Where do the bad harp go?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Carl Swanson’s book has info on evaluating used harps.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>a GOOD harp in a pawn shop, for, oh, say $500

If you ever find a harp from a maker currently in business for that price, your first course of action should be to call the manufacturer and ask about the serial number. The odds are it is stolen.

A friend of mine had a harp of his that was stolen turn up almost ten years later in the back room of a pawn shop. Someone was going to buy it, but had the sense to call L&H first. Otherwise she would have lost her money and the harp.

Erards, lindemanns, etc are another story, but also much more difficult to get put into working order.

unknown-user
    Participant

I hear ya!

kreig-kitts

Harp hell?

rosalind-beck
    Participant

No.

David Ice
    Participant

Some

Harp Hell: A never-ending production of Die Walkure, that is nothing but the Magic Fire Music repeated ad infinitum.

Tuning harps endlessly in 100% humidity with air conditioning going off and on every half-hour.

Playing an endlessly repeating “The Fantasticks” with a beefed-up percussion part for the harpist, an 80-year-old actress playing the Girl, two children playing the Fathers, a Mute who keeps talking, an El Gallo who ****s everyone in the production, a Boy who goes off-pitch on all his high notes, all for Off-Broadway union scale, only you never get a paycheck; and you have to play on a 150-year-old harp.

Teaching a beginner who has no memory, so every lesson you have to start over again from scratch.

Constantly being required to show up for rehearsal in Carnegie Hall with the New York Philharmonic, only you are in pajamas or nothing at all, have no music, and they expect you to play on a square harp with no pedals, or a double-size harp with twice as many strings, and you are subbing.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yeah, can you imagine!

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Yeah, pawn shops I’d be skeptical about modern harps for cheap.

Remember that book “101 Uses for a Dead Cat”? We could publish a similar book “101 Uses for a Bad Harp”. Some possible uses: doorstop, garden gate, planter, wind chime, firewood, backwall for tennis practice, cheese grater for giants. Add some chapters for uses of bad harp bits such as bad harp strings, bad harp discs, bad harpists!!, bad harp music, bad harp rods, and you’ve got a book!

Tacye
    Participant

How can you tell if it is worth fixing?

diane-michaels
    Spectator

There was one very unloved harp at Oberlin.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Tacye-Any idea who bought that one?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi John,

I’m so glad to hear that you are back. Now, I’m so sorry to have teased you so badly in the past. I think you have a really good point here. Where do you think the bad ones go?? Would love to hear your opinion.

Cheers.

unknown-user
    Participant

Just curious but how do you protect harps from woodworm and other insect infestations?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies