harpcolumn

The most idiotic comments at gigs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists The most idiotic comments at gigs

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Hi Julie,

I played a gig last weekend that started on a dubious note.

unknown-user
    Participant

That is a hilarious and awesome story, David. Now those initial comments were unmistakably rude. Good grief. That is so great how you pulled that off and won them over.

tess
    Participant
    At an orchestra competition, my fellow harpist encountered certain amusing remarks:

“Dear, why don’t you go help that girl?

unknown-user
    Participant

Here’s one I bet you never heard:

While I was walking out of my building today during a fire drill (carrying a Harpsicle in the kind of case you wear like a backpack)…

“Is that a BOMB??”

kreig-kitts

The “sofa cushion” remark is pretty funny. I can see the mistake.

unknown-user
    Participant

Over the years. . .it must be a phenomenon, but I can’t tell you how many times my harp has been called a: flute, cello, piano, organ and guitar.

kay-lister

I play lever harp and the most recent comment was “oh, I thought you played a REAL harp”.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Carl…I’m sure you can relate to thsi personality trait). Chris-I just came across your comment and laughed out loud. Welcome to the club!

Let’s see…Idiotic comments. Hmmmmm…When I was just starting to freelance many many years ago, people would frequently come up and say. “Gee, you must be in the (Boston) Symphony.” I wanted to say to them(but didn’t) “Do you think I’d be playing Guys and Dolls with Saugus High School if I was in the $%^&# Symphony???” One day I was unloading a harp from my car when two little boys- maybe 11 or 12 years old- walked by. They looked at what I was doing and then one of them said(in a heavy Boston accent) “Hey mistah, is that a hahp?” Yes I said. He then turned to his friend and said “See, I told you it wasn’t a banjo!”

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Mel, I got asked this today and thought of you:

Question: “Don’t you wish you

unknown-user
    Participant

I should add, that I’m one of those ‘bad’ harpists that uses their husband as a harp roadie for gigs on occassion……I also get loads of comments, “how do you move that thing” and always just say “husband” or point at him if he is in the room….he he he….

harp guy
    Participant

I haven’t really had any *really* stupid comments. With that being said, I don’t accept that many gigs either. When I do, I usually take my 29 string lever harp [I just love the fact that you can put it in the back seat].

unknown-user
    Participant

I noticed you said you played at renaissance festivals a lot, Sarah.

unknown-user
    Participant

I was once approached after a gig by a very well meaning woman “It is wonderful that you can turn the volume buttons at the same time as playing the strings!”

They were referring to the levers as volume buttons. Bonkers.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a good one. I played at a funeral for a dear friend as a gift to the family-just background music as people were coming in and getting seated. My sister, who is also a harpist, was sitting near the front and heard a lady behind her tell another lady, “That’s a harp. The way she’s playing it is very unusual. They don’t usually pluck the strings, they beat on the soundboard. The harp is really a percussion instrument.”

I can’t imagine how she got an idea like that! I’ve seen some harpists add a little percussion to their music in that manner, but it’s pretty obvious that they’re playing the strings, too!

Sylvia Clark

It happened again today, and it’s happened a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies