harpcolumn

The gestation of a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The gestation of a harp

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Liam M
    Participant

Been gone for a bit Michael. I just looked at the photos, It looks like it is proceeding well!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi to all,

Spent a good part of yesterday trying to get the edges of the soundbox level, for glueing the soundboard – they had migrated during glueing, and then I sanded some of it down – making it more uneven then I realized.

Liam M
    Participant

Keep at it Michael, you will get there.

As you work, do you ever muse how the old luthiers did it in the ancient days with no power tools, crude glues and clamps? I know I do……

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The old Irish harps had bodies carved out of a single piece of willow, which eliminated a lot of the need for things such as clamps, power tools and glue.

There’s a fellow in our local harper group who’s trying to make one the old fashioned way…it’s slow going!

Audrey

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

I’m not sure what a WEST body is.

Liam M
    Participant

Wood (or Wet) Epoxy Saturation Technique. You soak thin wood strips in epoxy, then tack them to a frame to dry. It allows curves that would be other wise impossible with the wood because the strips are so thin. By biasing the grain you gain exceptional strength. Long ago I built a sailing dinghy in this manner. If you do it right the framing can be totally removed after the epoxy sets.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi Liam,

Thanks for explaining that.

They’ve discontinued it and I don’t know what the sound was like but the Triplett Nino used fiberglass for the body.

Jennifer

Liam M
    Participant

Your kerfs I would think are similar to the stave back technique. I am looking to contour more to the shoulder, an ergonomic design. As to WEST, no not difficult for your level of talent. You prespot the strips and then move quickly when the strips are saturated. They

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam, Jennifer,

It seems as though Triplett is still making the Nino with the fiberglass back.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hello to all,

I just had an idea for putting my harp together.

Liam M
    Participant

First thing that comes to mind is the second resonant frequency generated in the inner string…..which will be a function of length, mass per length etc. but also will have a contributing factor from the outer string…..

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi Liam (and everyone else),

I’ve just established that the proposal I made in #56 has at least one significant (possibly fatal) defect – the difficulty in being able to access the back of the soundboard for string changing.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi to all,

I think I may have written too soon – the solution might simply be to use particularly long long-nose pliers for changing the strings, (or to use the longest I can find, and if necessary, add some extensions to the handles) and to use the side sound-holes/access ports for entry.

I was thinking that if I were to do this, the whole thing could be attached by screws, no need for glue at all between the back and the sides, or between the soundboard and the sides, since none of the stresses in this design really require glue (I think!). Possibly, though, the use of many screws might increase the risk of rattling.

unknown-user
    Participant

change your strings by putting the string through the top of the sound board and push enough of the string

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.