The gestation of a harp

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #155085

This is kind of my answer to Audrey Nickel’s post below, “The birth of a harp.”

Participant
    Karen Johns on #155086

Well good for you, Michael! I commend anyone who wants to take the plunge and builds their own harp.

I do suggest looking into Musicmaker’s ( http://www.harpkit.com

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #155087

Sounds like a fun project!

Participant
    Liam M on #155088

Michael,

Participant
    bernhard-schmidt on #155089

Hallo Michael,

just check this

I’m planning on making the neck and column all from 3 1/2″ pieces of plywood, starting with rougly the correct shape (i.e., an “L” at an acute angle).

Participant
    Liam M on #155090

Bernhard,

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #155091

Hello to all!

The enormity of this project is beginning to hit me.

Participant
    bernhard-schmidt on #155092

Hallo Liam,

generally it is an issue of stiffness if the string diameter is in a badly relation to the string lengt, string thickness and Frequency.

I dont know what you mean by MPL

Regards

jennifer-buehler on #155093

I think Bernhard said that the column is never made of plywood.

jennifer-buehler on #155094

I also meant to mention that the string tension is fairly light and may have an impact on the construction of the harp.

Participant
    Liam M on #155095

Guden

Participant
    bernhard-schmidt on #155096

Jennifer,

I mentioned it to

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #155097

Bernhard,

I was thinking of a different tension – but yes, I see, from the point of view of the torsion from the neck, the plywood column would be more likely to bend/break, and would be weaker (although I’m not sure if the 50% figure is quite right).

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #155098

Hi to all,

To state the probably obvious – only the first paragraph above is directed to Bernhard

Participant
    Karen Johns on #155099

From my experience building three harp kits, the internal rib does taper in width as it goes up in a larger harp, but is straight in both of my smaller(lap) harps. The external rib does not. With both of my Musicmaker harps I do not have an external rib- this may be due to the fact that it is more of an aesthetic rather than structural necessity. The internal rib of my nylon strung harp is 5-ply aircraft birch, while the wire-strung has a solid walnut strip.

You can download pdf files of all the Musicmaker harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.