harpcolumn

The gestation of a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The gestation of a harp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Just to add, there’s plywood and there’s plywood.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I agree with Audrey- my Voyageur has the same sandwiching of cherry in both the neck and pillar, and each piece is at least a 1/2 inch thick. The soundboard plywood is very thin layers of aircraft birch.

Karen

Liam M
    Participant

It is intriguing Karen as I have been studying the theory of the wire harps, the thicker the sound board, the longer the sustain. What appears to heppen is the soundboard absorbs the energy that maintains the sustain. I have duplicated this with my brass soundboard experiments.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Audrey,

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Audrey,

Oops – I forgot to include the page with the picture of the plywood neck from Dreamsinger harps.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Liam- Both of my current

Tacye
    Participant

The tension is governed by the vibrating length of the string, which ends where the string enters the hole in the soundboard so string rib thickness should not affect the tension.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

That’s true, Michael…I’d forgotten about his mahogany harps.

Audrey

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Tacye,
    I find myself wondering if your assertion is correct, that the vibrating length of the string on the harp “ends where the string enters the hole in the soundboard.”

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi to all-

I just got my book written by Jerry Brown, on harp construction and design.

Tacye
    Participant

Michael, you are confused with lateral and transverse vibrations.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi Tacye,

I am no physicist, nor an engineer, and unfortunately, my grasp of physics is not at all advanced.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Maybe we could come to the conclusion that we

Tacye
    Participant

What I hope you are trying to express is that the boundary conditions for the string, which are assumed by simple theory to be perfectly rigid end points, cannot be so in practice (as the soundboard is moving or there would be no sound) and therefore objects beyond the main vibrating length of the string can have an effect on the vibration.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Tacye and Bernhard,

You both seem to be saying the same thing, and you both are far more expert in these matters than I am, so I am guessing that you are probably right, and I am mistaken.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.