harpcolumn

The gestation of a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The gestation of a harp

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Tacye
    Participant

Think about the difference between raising pitch by tuning a violin string up (vibrating length stays much the same, tension increases) and raising the pitch by stopping it with a finger (vibrating length is shortened, tension remains much the same).

One of the early steps in physics experimentation is working out very clear-headedly how to alter as few variables as possible at a time and trying to detangling all those which can be detangled.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Yes Tacye,

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Yes, that it is !

Regards

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Bernhard, Tacye,

I thank you both for your efforts at getting this point through to me!

Michael

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hello to all,

Here’s an update on the process, such as it is – I’ve cut out the inner (hard maple) and outer (walnut) ribs.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

One more comment-

I hope the readers aren’t finding all this too boring.

Karen Johns
    Participant

What type of wire strings are you going with? As far as I know, only three types of

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Karen,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

I’m pretty far off from being at the point to consider which stringing material to use – My plan was for something akin to an acoustic guitar string set, with brass-wound strings in the lower registers.

Liam M
    Participant

Michael,

I found a trick for gluing… dash over to U Haul or somewhere where they sell those vacuum storage bags for clothing. One of the regular size ones works well. Then put the pieces in the bag, a fixed weight on top and hook up the shop vac!! Works splendid!!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

Thanks for the idea.

Liam M
    Participant

Michael,

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

I’ll have to experiment with this.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam (or anyone else who can respond to this question),

Entering into the world of my potentially faulty understanding of physics – is it not also the case that the vacuum technique cannot exceed approximately 15 lbs of pressure at any given point, and that its greatest advantage is in the even application of this pressure all over the work at the same time?

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hello to all,

Here are some pictures of where I am so far – there are multiple viewable pictures in the album.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies