harpcolumn

The birth of a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The birth of a harp

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

So far I’m still not seeing any widening or lengthening of the cracks.

Liam M
    Participant

Really? I am glad for you…

Karen Johns
    Participant

I found the same thing with my Limerick (Taliesin). The steel strings came up to pitch after only a few tunings, while my

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I don’t actually have a stringing chart.

Liam M
    Participant

Karen,

I do not have my notes with me, and

Karen Johns
    Participant

Try paint markers for your strings- they seem to endure longer. Be careful with the wound strings though (if you have any)-the paint seeping into the grooves tends to deaden the sound.

Karen Johns
    Participant

If you look at the style of the Limerick, you will see the relatively straight neck. Some harp models, like pedal

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but here’s a widely used string tension calculator:
    http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/NewScalc/

String tension calculators like this, as well as the actual formulas behind them, are readily available on the web-

The question of arched versus straighter neck – I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the harmonic arch is to reduce the length of the strings in the higher ranges – as a result, you can use a lower

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I know that historical wire harps (such as the Trinity — aka “Brian Boru” and Queen Mary) have the low head and curved arch similar to ours.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I’m just passing along what I was told by two harp designers that have been at this for 20+ years. This is their observations I am relying on. I just want everyone to be aware of this- I neither have the experience as either a designer or builder to make these statements about

unknown-user
    Participant

Well Audrey it has been a number of days since your Bard was tuned, how do you like the sound? And what made you buy a harp from Muis. To Liam as well how do you like the Trinity harp in the plywood Mahogany. I am interested because I have ordered a Trinity from Muis in Mahaogany which should be done in a week or so. Iam looking forward to putting it together and hopeing for that magical wire string tone. Thanks a lot.

Liam M
    Participant

Dennis, I am warming to the Trinity. However it is still disassembled in restoration and I am far from my shop… so it will be some time before I finish it. I must admit, I prefer the Cherry and hope Muis continues to offer it. It is hader to work, but I just like the wood better.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I am utterly enchanted with the sound. He has a beautiful, resonant, bell-like voice.

I will be taking him with me to my regular lesson on Friday.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Well, Aodhán’s made his recording debut!

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Audrey, the sound is lovely.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies