The birth of a harp

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160801

So far I’m still not seeing any widening or lengthening of the cracks.

Participant
    Liam M on #160802

Really? I am glad for you…

Participant
    Karen Johns on #160803

I found the same thing with my Limerick (Taliesin). The steel strings came up to pitch after only a few tunings, while my

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160804

I don’t actually have a stringing chart.

Participant
    Liam M on #160805

Karen,

I do not have my notes with me, and

Participant
    Karen Johns on #160806

Try paint markers for your strings- they seem to endure longer. Be careful with the wound strings though (if you have any)-the paint seeping into the grooves tends to deaden the sound.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #160807

If you look at the style of the Limerick, you will see the relatively straight neck. Some harp models, like pedal

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #160808

Liam,

I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but here’s a widely used string tension calculator:
    http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/NewScalc/

String tension calculators like this, as well as the actual formulas behind them, are readily available on the web-

The question of arched versus straighter neck – I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the harmonic arch is to reduce the length of the strings in the higher ranges – as a result, you can use a lower

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160809

I know that historical wire harps (such as the Trinity — aka “Brian Boru” and Queen Mary) have the low head and curved arch similar to ours.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #160810

I’m just passing along what I was told by two harp designers that have been at this for 20+ years. This is their observations I am relying on. I just want everyone to be aware of this- I neither have the experience as either a designer or builder to make these statements about

Participant
    unknown-user on #160811

Well Audrey it has been a number of days since your Bard was tuned, how do you like the sound? And what made you buy a harp from Muis. To Liam as well how do you like the Trinity harp in the plywood Mahogany. I am interested because I have ordered a Trinity from Muis in Mahaogany which should be done in a week or so. Iam looking forward to putting it together and hopeing for that magical wire string tone. Thanks a lot.

Participant
    Liam M on #160812

Dennis, I am warming to the Trinity. However it is still disassembled in restoration and I am far from my shop… so it will be some time before I finish it. I must admit, I prefer the Cherry and hope Muis continues to offer it. It is hader to work, but I just like the wood better.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160813

I am utterly enchanted with the sound. He has a beautiful, resonant, bell-like voice.

I will be taking him with me to my regular lesson on Friday.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160814

Well, Aodhán’s made his recording debut!

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #160815

Audrey, the sound is lovely.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.