harpcolumn

SOME PEOPLE!!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break SOME PEOPLE!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I have said that to parents.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

people have done that to me too!

i think they think when you’re playing you’re not always using the last few wires all the time and maybe that’s a convenient place to try a string

several times i had dad’s with kids do that and i was surprised but when you’re playing it’s hard to say no

i played for a long time at a fancy resort in the 4 corners area and guests had to be kept happy within reason

they couldn’t take extreme liberties but i would probably have lost my job for getting too upset with people who touched one wire string

but it was upseting to be sure!

i don’t mind people touching the harp if they ask and i say it’s okay and i don’t mind having an experienced harpist play my instrument but i do expect them to ask and not to play it while i’m playing

kay-lister

It’s kind of like when my boys were little and I took them to their “well baby “check at the dr.’s office. . . some little kid with a HORRIBLE cough and STUFF running from his nose, would ALWAYS come up to me and want to hang over one of my little guys – the parent TOTALLY

carl-swanson
    Participant

I once saw a sign at a gift shop that said, UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE SOLD INTO SLAVERY. Maybe we need a sign next to the harp that says, people, or children, who touch the harp without my permission will be sold into slavery.

David Ice
    Participant

I LOVE THAT POEM, Margaret!!!!

Evelyn Tournquist
    Participant

I have finally had to put my foot down about unwanted hands touching my harp. Because it was getting completely out of control I’ve grown eyes all around my head so I can usually head them off at the pass.

For those who slip through the gate, I inform them kindly and professionally that they should never touch a musician’s valuable instrument without their permission. Nine times out of ten, while spoken to the kids, it is directed at the adults. They generally get the hint and go away.

David Ice
    Participant

I guess, being a guy, I’ve been spared having people come up and hugging me (or other inappropriate touching) but these things always come out of nowhere and I’m literally left speechless!

Owosso Harpist
    Participant

If you ask me, I prefer to play before a small group of people who know better than to mess around with my harp. I, too would get very upset and riled if someone comes along and starts screwing around with my harp with or without my permission. Just like some of you, I never allow people to play with my baby no matter what. They can touch it a small bit, but they cannot play my harp no matter what.

shelby-m
    Participant

Idiotic parents need to
    learn to keep a leash on their kids.

onita-sanders
    Participant

I must say I have found this thread to be quite enlightening.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Onita, I mostly agree with you.

cc-chiu

Yes, I’ve got to agree that some replies surprised me – I’d never physically assault someone over potentially damaging the harp (or lying). Fortunately, there are insurances that can take care of that!

But one’s attitude probably depends on what they’ve encountered. If people are really rude and start touching me while playing etc. I probably wouldn’t as accommodating as I am now…

shannon-schumann
    Participant

OH – I was a student worker in the music office when I was in college. Some lady called the office to ask us what a harp was. At least she had the sense to be embarrassed about having to ask. The only way I could think to explain it over the phone was to tell her that a harp was that thing that all the angels played.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Years ago I was loading a harp into my car in front of my house. Two adolescent boys, maybe 12 or 13, were walking by. “Hey mistah(Boston accent),” one of them said to me,”Is that a hahp?” “Yeh” I said. The kid turned to his friend and said, “See, I told you it wasn’t a banjo!”

David Ice
    Participant

LOL Carl…..sometimes you must wonder what sort of music these people have been exposed to!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.