harpcolumn

Showing off our new harps!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Showing off our new harps!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    randal
    Participant

…she’s actually made from flamed sycamore which is a pale creamy gold wood

It is a lovely looking harp Lyn, and I’m sure she’s much moreso in the wood. I love those lighter-tone woods–my harps are walnut, and I would love to have something in cherry/amber

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Thank you, Tracey and Randal for your continuing interest. I’m ashamed to say I have been very lazy about taking photos (too busy playing!) but I will try to do some more and very soon – so watch this space. I promised Tim I would send him some too and still haven’t got round to that so you’ve rightly jogged me into it! It is possible to see the detail better by clicking a couple of times on the pic to enlarge it. I will also make sure that I take closer pics of the wood grain because it is remarkably beautiful: the ‘flaming’ creates a rippled effect that many people have descrbed as ‘shimmering’. I’ve had her for 9 months now and am still as excited as I was then. My husband and I recently went to visit a harp shop an hour or so from where we live (something that is rare indeed in the UK) and it was wonderful to come out whispering to him “Nothing there even half as nice as mine!” They tell me smugness is not an attractive quality but it is a very satisfying one 😉

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Here are a few other shots from different angles and showing off the ammonite and the feet.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Okay, that was the feet. I’m not very good at posting photos. Looks as if I’ll have to post the others one per message.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Here’s the fossil too. I’m afraid it’s going to be after Xmas before I have time to take any new pics but I’ll see what I can get of the artwork then. Meantime, a very merry Xmas to all.

brook-boddie
    Participant

I’m very grateful that Santa brought me a new Thormahlen Serenade about two weeks ago. It’s solid black with gold-colored Camac levers. It has a beautiful, warm, rich tone. I’ll try to include a picture with this post.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Oooh, yummy, that looks lovely! How any strings has it/he/she got? Ain’t that Santa Claus a wonderful bloke!

brook-boddie
    Participant

Lyn, it has 36 strings–five full octaves. Yes, Santa was especially good to me this year! I love this little harp. I’ll see if I can include a YouTube link to a recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYc-XTYib4o&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4aNn7giihYxxy5kgnWAQGA

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

Sounds great. Really nice harp.

randal
    Participant

Might as well try to fill up a page with pics of harps 🙂

My new (two weeks ago) Triplett 30 wire

Hi, I have just made this for my wife. She calls her Obsidia. She is made from Carbon Fibre. ( The harp not my wife! ) Not bad for a first attempt.
    Brian.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Brian,
    That is lovely! How many strings? How tall is it? What a neat gift to your wife. 🙂

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Hi Randal,

Congrats on your new Triplett wire harp! 🙂 I have one and they are lovely instruments. You’ll probably find as the wood ages that its voice matures and it really starts to sing… that happened to mine.

Lyn, your new harp is just a work of art! How I would love though, to have one like that as a wire-strung harp! Thanks for posting the fossil pic… There’s probably a lot of wonderful things like that from nature that builders could start embedding into their instruments to give them more character. Would be a great trend to start!

Hi Allison,
    It has 27 strings. It is 1metre or 39 inches high and weighs 3.6kg or about 8lbs.
    Brian.

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d give this thread a bump, because I wanted to share this with you:

I finally received my new Camac electric pedal harp, the Mini Blue! – although mine is black 🙂 I waited over 3 months because the factory didn’t have this specific model in stock and so it was custom made (which is nice IMO) but it’s well worth the wait. This is the 44 string straight model and at my request they strung it with gut light strings from the 2nd to the 5th octave, which improves playability (having played a nylon strung celtic harp before) and gives it a clear and bright sound in the mid and high section.

It’s a wonderful instrument and especially the electric sound is BIG! I hooked it up to a 2 x 15″ bass amp (the ‘fridge’ size) and the bass strings just blow off the roof…the mid and high section are very nice too, not too mid-shaped but crisp and clear. The cool thing is that it has separate outputs for the bass, mid and high sections so you can hook it up to a portable mixer to customize the sound of each section to taste and thus create the desired overall sound.

Check out the pic attached…it was taken at the shop when I first checked it out, so never mind the iphone pic quality, but you can imagine I’m really excited to be the owner of this brand new lovely instrument, which I named ‘Black Beauty’ 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.