Zen Sojourner

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: lever harp dilema #75913
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    I recommend either a Blevins or the Merlin R-Harp.

    in reply to: Merlin R harp vs Marion StoneyEnd #70860
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    That’s the one thing I didn’t care for on the harp, were the short black Loveland levers.

    in reply to: Merlin R harp vs Marion StoneyEnd #70846
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    I had a L&H that my dad bought for me when I was a teenager, I think it was one of the Troubadors.

    in reply to: Merlin R harp vs Marion StoneyEnd #70844
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    I just received my Merlin a few weeks ago.

    in reply to: Playing after shoulder injury #160718
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    I just wanted to let people know, I am reading and appreciate the advice.

    in reply to: Playing after shoulder injury #160708
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    Thanks, we have a free clinic here and they’ve already told me they can’t help me.

    in reply to: Playing after shoulder injury #160706
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    I know you mean well, but the doctor is not an option for me.

    in reply to: What is a Dilling Harp? #72141
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    Oh my goodness, I’m sure many will be glad to hear of the return of another fine harp maker.

    in reply to: teeny harps? #109686
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    you could try finding it by clicking on your own name in this thread, then sort your past postings by forum.

    in reply to: Stiff Bridge Pins #160886
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    You know I did not catch that.

    in reply to: Stiff Bridge Pins #160882
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    Candace, I would contact Stoney End.

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102385
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    ba·roque (b-rk)

    adj.

    1. also Baroque Of, relating to, or characteristic of a style in art and architecture developed in Europe from the early 17th to mid-18th century, emphasizing dramatic, often strained effect and typified by bold, curving forms, elaborate ornamentation, and overall balance of disparate parts.

    2. also Baroque Music Of, relating to, or characteristic of a style of composition that flourished in Europe from about 1600 to 1750, marked by expressive dissonance and elaborate ornamentation.

    3. Extravagant, complex, or bizarre, especially in ornamentation

    Definition #3 supports my usage of the word “baroque”. Saying ALL others was a bit of hyperbole. It’s really just the majority of pedal harp designs that strike me that way.

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102359
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    Scolpita. Don’t know why I did the double typo, but I did, and I can’t find an “edit” option.

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102358
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    No, I don’t like it. It’s rather less ornate than most harps (looks like some model of Salvi, and Salvi tends to be less ornate than other harps, I’m not up on all the models of pedal harps these days since they are ALL priced out of my range), but I still would not prefer that style. Its clunky looking. There’s no grace there. Not to my eye, anyway. If I were in the market for a pedal harp, and that was my only choice, I’d probably end up with one, but I would never truly like the way it looks. Fortunately it’s NOT my only choice. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what choices I have since I can’t AFFORD a pedal harp.

    I like the Salvi Scolpi, I don’t like other styles of pedal harps. Some are “less bad” to my way of seeing things than others, but the only one I TRULY like is the Salvi Scolpi.

    I thought this was a thread for us to post what WE liked, not to criticize other people’s choices. Given the fact that most harps are of the baroque/ornate variety, it’s clear to me that my tastes are not among the mainstream harp buyer’s. If you LIKE gilding and big columns and all the stuff that generally goes on a pedal harp, that’s fine – for YOU. Expecting me to SHARE that taste is not fine.

    And btw, for anybody who has the above harp – I’m not calling it ugly or saying that you have no taste. It’s just not *MY* taste.

    Apparently it bothers you that my taste differs from yours. You were REAL quick on the draw.

    Interesting.

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102356
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

    Salvi Scolpita

    http://www.harpconnection.com/store/harp.php?do=print&print=Salvi-Scolpita-8×10-300dpi.jpg&title=Salvi+Scolpita

    It’s the only full size harp that doesn’t look just ridiculously baroque (sorry, don’t care for all that gilding and greek columns and whatnot that most pedal harps are burdened with)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)