Playing after shoulder injury

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #160704

I had an injury, probably to the rotator cuff, a bit over a year ago.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #160705

Zen- Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I had rotator cuff surgery about 18 years ago and had 3 months of physical therepy afterwards to get the range of motion back. It’s no joke. I think you need to see a doctor and figure out what exactly is happening to your shoulder before doing any kind of physical therapy exercises. But you really are going to have to do exercises to get range of motion and strength back to your shoulder. My shoulder has been fine since recovering from the surgery. My range of motion as about 95% of what the other arm has. There is no pain and it’s strong. So with work you should be able to get similar results. But start with the doctor.

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #160706

I know you mean well, but the doctor is not an option for me.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #160707

Zen,

I’m assuming you live in the U.S., one of the few industrialized nations with such an inequitable health care system.

In theory, professionals are supposed to offer “pro bono” services (free or reduced rates) in addition to their paid work.

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #160708

Thanks, we have a free clinic here and they’ve already told me they can’t help me.

Participant
    tula-ruggiero on #160709

You are right.

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #160710

Dear Zen,

I can empathize with you.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160711

My mother in law had “frozen shoulder syndrome” some years ago, and was given a range of exercises to do.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160712

Just posting to add that I Googled “frozen shoulder” and found a lot of sites with exercise suggestions for relieving the injury.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #160713

You are very fortunate not to have access to P.T. based on my experiences with them. It sounds like you still have inflammation there, pressing the nerve. I would concentrate on reducing the inflammation as much as possible. Nerves take months to heal, so it may have stopped being injured two months ago but hasn’t finished healing yet. Swimming in warm water is good if you are gentle in movement. The only way you can really know what is going on in there is if you can see an ultrasound radiologist who will look at your soft tissue via the ultrasound. They can inject cortisone into the exact place of swelling or fluid using the ultrasound as a guide. They do this Thomas Jefferson University. It is a rather new procedure, and IT WORKS. Safely. I wouldn’t recommend playing until you can move the arm, then you need to rebuild strength carefully. Maybe acupuncture would help.

Participant
    rod-c on #160714

Zen:

I am happy to share my experience with you. I don’t know if it will help. Three yeras ago I had a pretty rough bicycle accident–broken collar one and separated shoulder (meaning my ligments were ruptured–torn away from the bone.) I have had three surgeries and about 7 months (total) of physical rehab (and six months of pain medications).

After the first surgery, my arm was in a sling for 7 weeks–I lost all strength and range of motion.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #160715

Lee Greenwood may be “Proud to be an American” but when I read things like I have read in this thread, I certainly am NOT. I voted for our current Pres……he needs to do something, and NOT calm the fears of the insurance execs…he needs TO DO SOMETHING NOW!

Can you say “single payer system?”

I’m so sorry you guys are suffering like this.

Briggs

Participant
    andy-b on #160716

Hi, Zen, I’m sorry to hear about your problem. Many people don’t know that there are health centers that receive federal funding that are required by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) to provide care regardless of insurance or ability to pay. I’m the Director of Program Funding

Participant
    dawn-penland on #160717

Zen, I injured my shoulder in 1992.

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #160718

I just wanted to let people know, I am reading and appreciate the advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.