harpcolumn

Merlin R harp vs Marion StoneyEnd

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Merlin R harp vs Marion StoneyEnd

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Yep! I played French horn with them for all the years they existed. When they disbanded I sold the horn. Dave is kind of a buddy of mine. We go to the same gym and have lots of shared conversations since we are both music teachers. In fact, I helped conduct at rehearsals occasionally, and Beth is a friend of mine.

Briggsie

Karen Johns
    Participant

Well no wonder you looked so familiar to me when I ran into you at the Ren Fest! I graduated from Anchor Bay (many, many moons ago) when Randy Casteel

mary-savard
    Participant

It’s funny that you related your story.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Back to the original question, I’ve tried both of these harps, and they are both good bets.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Definitely size does matter here. I have tried both of these harps. I say tried, because I am a short adult with short arms and could not reach the lower strings of the Marion. I could reach all the strings on the Merlin and to me it had a much richer and louder sound. If your student is on the small side, the Merlin might be a better fit. This is my experience only, and I offer it as a guide for something to look out for.

Leigh

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

That’s the one thing I didn’t care for on the harp, were the short black Loveland levers.

Debbie Stackrow
    Participant

Interesting comments especially for those of you that know both harps. I was concerned that at 5″8″ I may be too tall for the Merlin if sitting on a regular height chair but now I don’t think that will be a problem. I’ve only had Truitt levers on my lap harp and they are easy to find to move. I can see what you mean with dark levers on dark wood. I’m going to be looking at a used Merlin and will look for that. Thanks to all

Anonymous
    Inactive

As mentioned above, you can request the longer golden Loveland levers as my student did for her Merlin.

Ian McVoy
    Participant

I’ve never played a merlin, but I have a marion from when they were in the experimental stage and it has a lovely tone and has needed no maintenance for over6 years

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I think I actually saw this on Sylvia Wood’s website.

jill-sagarin
    Participant

Dear Kay,

I’m interested in a Merlin; is your friend’s still available?

Rita Oberman
    Participant

Hi Kay,

I am interested in trying a Merlin harp as a replacements for my Dusty Strings FH36.

Mira Devi
    Participant

Looks like this is an older thread, but I wanted to comment on the Merlin Harp. I’ve owned one for the last two years and absolutely love it. The Triplett harp factory is near me in California, but I did not prefer their sound, size or feel. I ordered the Merlin from Colorado sight unseen. It sounded better to me over the phone than any other lever harp did in person! When it arrived by shipment I was not disappointed. The sound quality is clear, precise and gorgeous and it projects wonderfully. String tension is light and very easy to play. I can honestly say that I love the sound of my Merlin better than even some smaller pedal harps I have heard or tried to play. At our group recitals, several of the other students have commented that they like the sound of my Merlin in comparison to all other lever harps in the room (Triplett, Dusty and others are represented). Well…… that’s just my experience and my own bias. But I hope it inspires anyone to give Merlin a try. I am a tall person and have no problem with the smaller size. But I will say that I have to sit higher up in order to pull back my right arm far enough to play the highest strings. That is the one thing that is a bit challenging compared to other harps I’ve played. But it is by no means a deal breaker!!!!! I just work harder to master it is all.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Glad you did, I’m interested in the Merlin. Do the treble strings ever calm down? I love the sound of the Merlin except for those strident trebles.

Mira Devi
    Participant

I have to say, they’ve stayed about the same. But I like them the way they are. For me it is a strong positive feature of this harp. So it probably is just a matter of personal taste. However, you can certainly modulate some by playing them softer. It is easy to get carried away and really pound on them since the string tension is light. This is especially true if you are used to stiffer strings. Actually, what I wish is that the very highest strings on my Merlin were brighter. That is my only complaint. Other harps seem to be stronger in that department. But again….. not a deal breaker for me. Best to go with the sound quality that attracts you the most. That is what drew me to Merlin and other people to other harps. It’s fascinating to hear all the different lovely sounds each instrument can produce.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.