vincent-pierce

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • vincent-pierce
    Participant

    JP, that’s a good point. I never think of column loading, because it’s impossible for me. I also don’t particularly like the idea of it, but I know that there a lot of harpists who load their harps that way. I remember the last time I was at the Lyon and Healy factory, I was told that the column on a LH harp (any large pedal harp, maybe) is strong enough to replace a structural beam in a building. I would assume that the column also has a great deal of rigidity and strength holding up weight from any direction (whether vertically or horizontally). So I guess column loading makes plenty of sense if you can manage it. I just find it mind boggling…but good point nonetheless!

    in reply to: A video–and a little bit of self promotion! #108140
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Hey David! I really enjoyed watching your video. I LOVE Light in the Piazza, and I think it’s fantastic that they made a vlog out of the production and included the musicians! I’ve played in nearly 20 musical productions so I’m quite familiar with the pit experience. Guettel’s music and the orchestrations for LitP are fantastic. I think it’s one of the best things to be on Broadway in the last ten years. I watched the Tonys the other day and was lamenting the current state of Broadway…but enough about that. My favorite numbers are (so hard to choose) Passeggiata, American Dancing and of course, the Light in the Piazza. I hope I get to play this show someday!

    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Sherry, you are completely right. My dad gets after me all the time about how close I sit in my car. But I have yet to own a car that works for someone as short as I am. I do have my seat in my GMC Jimmy pushed all the way forward, partly to fit the harp, but also because that’s the only way my feet reach the gas and brake pedals. Another option is to turn off the driver’s side airbag, but then that’s not really a solution. I wish there was a larger vehicle with the pedals further forward.

    in reply to: pedal harp transport by plain..??!! #150003
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    I got a chance to play David Kortier’s ‘virtual harp’ at the 2008 AHS conference. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that there was no string tension (it felt like playing large rubber bands), and that it is not an acoustic instrument. But the things it can do are pretty awesome.

    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    I wouldn’t recommend the Honda Element. It does work, and is a very economical car, but if you were to upgrade to a larger harp it wouldn’t work too well. I have moved a Salvi Diana in one, and I had to push the driver’s seat all the way up. It worked for me because I’m only 5’4″ but it was very uncomfortable. I wouldn’t even want to try putting my Salzedo in there. It’s also a lot lower, so you have to lean the harp all the way over to get it in, which is not easy. The Honda Pilot is great. I would also recommend a Toyota 4Runner. They are great vehicles, and they last a long time. You might even get a used one for a good price. You might look at the Volkswagen Passat wagon. It’s a tight fit, but I know a 23 fits perfectly, and it’s pretty fuel-efficient, I think. I agree with you avoiding American-made cars, I’ve had nothing but problems with GM vehicles. Good luck!
    Vince

    in reply to: Need info about Salzedo model #74386
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Julianna,
    I own a Salzedo as well, and I LOVE my harp. It has a huge, clear, bright sound, a very resonant bass and a lot of sustain. In fact, I have to be very conscious of muffling when I’m playing in orchestra. I would say the 23 has a bit darker sound, maybe more mellow, if that helps. The Salzedo projects very well and is perfectly suited to modern music. It also has a slightly wider spacing in the lower octaves, which I think is really nice. It’s also taller than just about any other harp (I think), so I have to watch the tops of doorways and such when I’m moving it, and since I’m only 5’4″ I have to sit on a pretty tall bench. I completely agree with Rosalind’s comparison of the Salzedo model to a Steinway piano – spot on. I just love my harp!
    Vince

    in reply to: Harp Art in Washington D.C.! #107704
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    When I went to the National Gallery I ran smack into (well, not literally) a portrait of Eliza Ridgley ( don’t recall the artist) that is pictured in Harps and Harpists by Roslyn Rensch. I was so excited to see it up close and in person! I missed the other portrait you saw, though, because I had one hour to see the whole museum and after that I went straight to the modern art…

    in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149869
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Karen,
    You make a good point. I work for a floral business, and it’s tough to keep business coming in. And I like your response, it’s hard for a bride to say no to that!
    Vince

    in reply to: Harp Teacher, Waco TX area #83667
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Hi, Louise! I am a Baylor student myself. The harpist in the Waco Symphony is French-trained. Her name is Louisa Ellis Woodson – http://louisaharp.com/ . She lives in Austin, but she could perhaps work something out with her as she is in town for WSO. Other than her and Juliette Buchanan, I don’t believe there are any other harpists or teachers in the Waco area. Hope this helps!
    Vince

    in reply to: Practice tips #150676
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Hey Jordan,
    I might not be telling you anything you don’t already know, but this is what I do: I warm up using the conditioning exercises (Ms. Chalifoux got me started on those), and I sometimes use the Harpist’s Daily Dozen. I also do small chunks of practice and take short breaks in between, so I can keep my focus. A lot of times when I break I’ll listen to recordings of pieces I’m working on or I enjoy, which helps motivate and give me an idea of what I want the finished product to sound like. I also always practice in front of a mirror. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
    Vince

    in reply to: John Williams – Exsultate Justi #150988
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Pardon my spelling – ‘exactly’.

    in reply to: John Williams – Exsultate Justi #150987
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    lol David, I’ll remember that! That’s excactly what I did. I wish I had had more time so I could have decomposed more…

    in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108670
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    I am a college student studying music, but I have a job at a fine florist that definitely adds some variety to my life (and a challenge). Oddly enough, I was hired to play for a wedding reception back in August by one of my professors for her niece’s wedding, and then I got hired at the flower shop in October. Turned out we were doing flowers for her wedding as well! I had to switch gears from the tiring setup in the morning to playing my harp in the afternoon. Having to do all that work for the flowers really made me really appreciate being able to sit and play and relax.
    Vince

    in reply to: Do these cars fit harps? #151129
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Briggsie,
    I’m trying to imagine how you load your harp – do you rest it on the column? I can see how that would work, but I prefer to load my harp flat in case I hit a bump, so it doesn’t slip or anything. My car has terrible suspension, so I bought a huge 3′ foam pad that covers the entire surface of the bed and makes a very comfy ride for my harp. Fortunately I’m only 5’4″ so I sit a bit forward and my Salzedo fits perfectly in my GMC Jimmy. I’m glad the Element works for you, though. It’s a great car and I’m sure it’s far more fuel efficient than mine…

    in reply to: How to pick the harps color? #159968
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Keep in mind that natural finish will age and get darker over time, walnut finish will lighten to a caramel color, and the darker finishes (especially ebony) show scratches and nicks much more. The finish on a LH harp does take years to change color, though. Also, with ebony you can’t see the wood grain. I like the Ogden in ebony and walnut, but the Bubinga veneer looks like it would be very attractive. I’ve never seen the Bubinga on a harp myself, though. Hope this helps.

    Vince

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)