harpcolumn

pedal harp transport by plain..??!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists pedal harp transport by plain..??!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eva Tebbe

Dear collegues,
    Next year I probably will be touring around with a big ensemble consisting of jazz and classical musicians.
    I’m afraid that it will be not easy to find affordable harps to rent all around the world. For example, I once tried to rent a harp in Finland; this appeared to be impossible, and the shipping by plane was MUCH too expensive… so we cancelled this whole idea..

to avoid this problem, I’m trying to find out if there is a VERY SMALL PEDAL HARP (like Pilgrim Progress) that is not too heavy or too big, so that it can be transported the same way you would transport a big suitcase…

Has anyone idea’s about this, experiences or whatsoever?? or is this just a very unrealistic idea…

Thank you VERY MUCH for you comments,

Eva Tebbe (from Holland)

jessica-wolff
    Participant

The two smallest pedal harps I’ve seen are (1) the Pilgrim itself, which still weighs 50 lbs, and (2) an enchanting little Erard double-action in a musical instrument museum in Vienna, weight unknown (to me). Visit it if you get to Vienna. Sorry! Oh yes, and a single-action Tyrolean intended for kids, with only five pedals, not suited to your needs. Somebody should put his/her mind to inventing something of the kind you need, because surely there must be a call for it.

Eva, there might be a Model 12 Lyon and Healy harp around somewhere that you would be able to rent or buy.

Eva Tebbe

thank you for your advise! I will look for this Lyon harp!

By the way, I just watched Deborah Henson playing Pilgrim Progress with Benny Green. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrFdxRcQYo&feature=related

I emailed her to ask if she can easily transort this harp by plain…

kind regards

Eva

Eva Tebbe

ahum… sorry for my spelling..
    I mean PLANE ofcourse! (not PLAIN… that’s something else…)

m-l-mcneel
    Participant

Eva,

I’ve not tried this harp at all, but it looks interesting.

vince-pierce
    Participant

I got a chance to play David Kortier’s ‘virtual harp’ at the 2008 AHS conference. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that there was no string tension (it felt like playing large rubber bands), and that it is not an acoustic instrument. But the things it can do are pretty awesome.

Eva Tebbe

Thank you!

I will check this out! altough I think I will not like the non-acoustic sound..
    but it might be interesting!

Eva

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies