Do these cars fit harps?

• Participant
    katie-ventura on #151120

I am going to join a car-share but first need to know if the following cars fit concert grands (I have a L&H 85CG):

Honda Element
    Subaru Outback
    Scion xB
    Honda CR-V

Please help!

Participant
    darth-mom on #151121

Hi Katie!
    I have an Outback.

Participant
    darth-mom on #151122

That’s 5 feet 9 inches for me and 5 feet 3 inches for my friend with the 23.

Participant
    vince-pierce on #151123

The Element will fit a concert grand (I’ve tried it with a Salvi Diana and a LH 23), but it’s a very tight squeeze for the driver because you have to push the seat so far up. And I’m not sure about the new CRV, but the older models are definitely too small for a CG harp. Good luck!

Vince

Participant
    Fearghal McCartan on #151124

Land Rovers are actually quite nasty for the harp. They look roomy but it is still a tight squeeze with the tailgate. I actually drive a Vauxhaull Agila and can fit my Salvi Arianna, a cello in a wheeled case, trolley, stool, stand, music bag and at a squeeze my Irish harp in and still drive! Saying that, the curve in the neck of the harp fits round my head whilst driving so I pray I never have to do an emergency stop! That harp is ratchet-strapped in though. I do use an interesting set-up with 4 seat cushions and two foam triangles to support the harp. The back seats are down and the head rests on the front two are off.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151125

Vince, I’m almost 6′ tall and put my concert grand Athena with extended soundboard, music stand, chair, bag of music, and once an additional Webster Cecelia harp into my Element. It was not a tight squeeze the way I am loading. I load it on an angle with the front passenger seat moved all the way forward, but mine does not have to go forward more than normal. I specifically bought this car to tote my Camac, and I’m very very happy with it.

To the original poster, the CRV will not fit a concert grand. We checked that out.

Briggsie

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #151126

Fearghal, is your Vauxhaull Agila a right-hand drive? That would make a difference.

Participant
    janelle-lake on #151127

Go girl!

Participant
    Fearghal McCartan on #151128

Yep, Sorry – should have said I am in Scotland. Defeinitely don’t try it if you have a left-hand drive (shudders at the thought of mechanism damage!)

Participant
    vince-pierce on #151129

Briggsie,
    I’m trying to imagine how you load your harp – do you rest it on the column? I can see how that would work, but I prefer to load my harp flat in case I hit a bump, so it doesn’t slip or anything. My car has terrible suspension, so I bought a huge 3′ foam pad that covers the entire surface of the bed and makes a very comfy ride for my harp. Fortunately I’m only 5’4″ so I sit a bit forward and my Salzedo fits perfectly in my GMC Jimmy. I’m glad the Element works for you, though. It’s a great car and I’m sure it’s far more fuel efficient than mine…

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151130

Not on the column….on an angle on it’s side with lots and lots and lots of padding all around. I would like to load it flat. A Taurus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.