unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,201 through 1,215 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sheet music for theme to The Princess Bride #150199
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ARRGH!!

    in reply to: Sheet music for theme to The Princess Bride #150198
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have the sheet music for “A Storybook Love” if anyone wants it. I used it for my wedding 4-5 years ago. I had a post for the longest time on this site saying I had it, but my email address had changed since then, so my guess is that I didn’t get any requests for it in a few years! I have e-mailed it/faxed it to literally 50 people in the last 3 years alone!

    If anyone still needs it, please e-mail me at ed@anovitz.com and I can forward it to you electronically as I scanned it.

    I can also fax it, but I will have to search some files to turn up the hard copies.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161860
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Liam,

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160766
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Audrey,

    in reply to: solid wood soundboards vs veneer #74639
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My instinct is to say that solid is better than a veneer, but my experiences woodworking are outside the luthier’s world.

    Can any luthiers out there comment?

    PS, if you like Heartland, they do make a portable harp, either 25 or 27 strings, I think. It is very lighweight – I think 7 pounds, they say. I haven’t had the opportunity to try one, but I don’t think that Dave puts out bad instruments.

    And you wouldn’t have to deal with it going through customs, either.

    in reply to: solid wood soundboards vs veneer #74637
    unknown-user
    Participant

    David from Heartland says that the veneer makes the soundboard stronger, if I recall correctly.

    in reply to: New harpist= 14 year old ! #161699
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Im in Omaha Nebraska….. If anyone has heard of Nicole wilkins, she is the harp player here at Westside High School, and is the only one who knows Im thinking about playing the harp…. Well actually some other kids heard me talking about it, and thought it was kind of cool!

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166516
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Brandon

    Im 15 right now and I started playing the harp when I was 8 years old. I currently go to boarding school south of Boston. You ARE right that there arent many other male teenage harpists out there but I would highly urge you not to make your decision to play this wonderful instrument on this fact or any other stereotype about the harp. I would go by if playing the harp makes you happy. If it does then I would hope that this overrides anything that would go against your playing.

    If you want to start the harp I would recomend that you post here to find the names of some teachers in your area. Once you contact them they will be able to set you up with the harp and other essential accessories.

    In short – if you want to start and you feel that it will make you happy, then find and contact a teacher – if you arent sure then you might as well give it a shot because what could be so bad? – and if you are concerned that playing the harp is a bad idea I would urge you to reconsider but the decision is ultimately yours.

    Best of luck!

    ~Sam

    BTW here are some youtube videos of male harpists in action!

    Sivan Magen playing part 1 of Balade Fantastique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39M465jKgUU

    Xavier de Maistre playing Legende: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_yzFVHUHU

    Sasha Boldachev playing his own composition, Toccata (age 14 I believe) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kn2FdB5akA&feature=related

    Josh Layne playing Grandjany’s Cadenza from the Handel harp concerto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLDpztb7VU

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161858
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Liam,

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161857
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Liam,

    in reply to: New harpist= 14 year old ! #161696
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks! I will look more into lessons now!

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165601
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!

    and guess how old i am…… 14!!

    in reply to: Lap harp questions! #162001
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks to you (and everyone else) for the great replies! Unfortunately I am rather far South in Oxford, so Edinburgh would be a hike but I might consider it. Of all the responses are you the only one that seems to be REALLY keen on getting a floor harp instead of a lap harp. Can I ask why? Is it worth sacrificing the portability for a 22-27 string lap harp for, say, a 30 string floor harp (much more and we’re getting into prices I DEFINITELY can’t pay).

    I looked up many of the makers on the exhibition link (basically the ones within a short train ride so that I could see/play/take delivery of a harp). Of those, what do you know of Camac harps? They seem well made. Unfortunately, I could definitely not afford anything more than a Bardic 27, which is a lap harp but has a fair few strings for such a harp. What is their quality like?

    The most affordable harps still seem to be the Stoney End, even when moving up to the floor harps. I am actually American and still hold a fair bit of my money in US dollars, so the exchange rate is actually a bonus =) Any thoughts are appreciated!

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161855
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sherj,

    How interesting.

    in reply to: I’m going to be playing on national TV! #162018
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Audrey,

Viewing 15 posts - 1,201 through 1,215 (of 5,570 total)