unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Standards #166245
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Saul,

    I actually wrote a long response to your question immediately after you posted it, but there was a problem with my internet connection and when I pressed Post, the message was lost. It was late, I believe, so I told myself I’d rewrite it the next day, but I forgot!

    in reply to: My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp #72924
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you so much for telling me about your harp. I looked at the photos of your harp on

    in reply to: My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp #72921
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for telling me about your harp. You were so lucky getting the special wood in the soundboard. It really is wonderful that you got to have something made just for you that is a one of a kind!

    Is Mr Pratt the man that writes the books of harp music? I remember somone telling me something about him and that he designed the original Troubador model and the original style 30?

    in reply to: L&H Chicago 47EX #73534
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ummm. I know someone that just got a 40 string and she really likes the way it looks but she says it sounds really really awful.

    in reply to: My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp #72914
    unknown-user
    Participant

    What a beautiful harp! Whenever someone gets a harp I know I keep saying “I want that harp!” but really, I think I want your harp too! I hope that Mr Pratt goes to the World harp congress as I’d love to try one of his harps. I just spent about 2 hours on his website looking at all the models, and all the little details, and they really have something so good and honest about them. And even my dad had a look and he said “impeccible craftsmanship”! (my dad is

    in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157355
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Faure Impromptu played by Isabelle Moretti. I love that she plays with so much freedom!

    in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157354
    unknown-user
    Participant

    1st movement of the Jolivet concerto with Lily Laskine.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: L&H Chicago 47EX #73533
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I heard that too that the Chicagos are made in Shanghai. Heard it from one of their technicians so assume he would know.

    I’ve only seen one Chicago, a 47 Ex and it was a stinker. I’ve heard that they vary

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146819
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Pirastro also used to have a line of un varnished gut strings. I can’t find them on their website, but maybe I can’t negotiate their website!

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146818
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dawn may have been the girl at Vanderbilt?She was a great girl and seemed to know everything.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146812
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Burgundy gut is by Bow brand, so would have the same varnish/coating as regular Bow brand strings.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146811
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I tried the Savarez several years ago – 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd to replace gut on the concert grande I use for outdoor weddings – I thought they might be better under our humid weather conditions, last longer, and stay in tune on some of these nasty weather jobs – once installed they took considerable time to stabilize to pitch, and several of the strings tended to unravel as I was putting them on so I was advised to twist them a couple times when installing them – then, the good news was that they did indeed keep pitch in a variety of temps and humidity – the bad news is that because of the higher tension, they pulled the board up more than normal, so I ended up keeping that harp tuned a half step lower – they did seem to increase the sound output which was nice for outdoor things, and in the 5th octave, they seem a bit brighter than gut, but after a couple years, I went back to “Burgundy” standard gut and

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146810
    unknown-user
    Participant

    OK, Oops, I did not read your first post properly..you did ask about Camac Boyau guts. Sorry about that!

    I have tried Savarez, just in the top two octaves as an alternative to gut. They broke all the time, so they might be okay from 3rd octave down, but I could not keep them on 2nd to top. I can’t remember if they squeaked, but then I didn’t have them on for long.

    They sound a little better to nylon in tone, but no where near as nice as gut. They feel very hard, brittle under the fingers to me.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146809
    unknown-user
    Participant

    No, I think he meant that you can order Savarez from Lyra. Sorry about the Bow brand reacting badly with your skin – and the squeak. I actually have noticed they squeak and thought it my

    in reply to: Harmonics in Sleeping Beauty Suite #149589
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The enharmonics are a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 5,570 total)