harpcolumn

My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

After 1500 miles of driving (including adventures in Zion National Park and Bruce National Park en route to Manti, Utah) I have returned home with what I think is one of the most beautiful harps in the world! (through my eyes of course!) I wish I could post a half a dozen photos to show the amazing craftsmanship, the gorgeous wood and the almost 3-D effect of the wood chosen for the soundboard. I did post one picture of it under my Profile Picture since that is all it would allow.

This harp was created by John Pratt and after many, many e-mail exchanges and details discussed, he matched the “vision” I had in my heart and in my mind’s eye perfectly. A more generous, professional, integral person I have not met and a craftsman second to none!

Most importantly is that it sounds AMAZING. Simply and wonderfully amazing. Vanderbilt Classic gut strings, Pirastro Nylon. It moved me to tears when I got it home and played it.

I love being part of this harp community and hope you will check out my new ‘beloved’ harp!

Thanks for allowing me to share my enthusiasm and excitement.

Karen

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Lovely, Karen!

brook-boddie
    Participant

Karen,

Congratulations–your harp is beautiful!!!

deb-l
    Participant

it’s a work of art!

unknown-user
    Participant

What a beautiful harp! Whenever someone gets a harp I know I keep saying “I want that harp!” but really, I think I want your harp too! I hope that Mr Pratt goes to the World harp congress as I’d love to try one of his harps. I just spent about 2 hours on his website looking at all the models, and all the little details, and they really have something so good and honest about them. And even my dad had a look and he said “impeccible craftsmanship”! (my dad is

Karen Johns
    Participant

Beautiful harp! Is that figured cherry wood on the soundbox and pillar?

Congrats!

karen
    Participant

My harp is Bubinga and Quilted Maple. The trim and inlays are also Bubinga and Quilted Maple. The soundboard is a one-of-a kind piece that John Pratt only had ever had 3 of and this was his last one and he was so generous to use it for my special harp. He spent a long time choosing the wood, book-matching the right and left sides, etc. It is incredibly well made and it truly sounds spectacular. Right now I am doing a lot of tuning as the strings stretch and settle in but even with that, the sound is simply exquisite. He has been in the harp world since he was a child and this man knows harps!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Karen,

Your harp has gorgeous figuring!

How well does it project?

karen
    Participant

It has a beautiful, warm tone and the Pirastro nylons are warm and perfectly bright but not at all “tink-ly”.

Best way to check it out is to go to FaceBook and type in Pratt Harps and you can see the picks John Pratt posted and then you will see me listed under the list of ‘friends’ and can click on me to go to my photo album for more pics.

Hope that helps and thanks so much for your kind words and being interested.

karen
    Participant

Oh….I forgot to answer your projection question. The projection is quite significant…I imagine the extended soundboard contributes to that to some degree, the wood, the shape of the soundbox, etc. Clearly I am biased but it is an amazing musical instrument.

kay-lister

Karen,

Very, VERY nice!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for telling me about your harp. You were so lucky getting the special wood in the soundboard. It really is wonderful that you got to have something made just for you that is a one of a kind!

Is Mr Pratt the man that writes the books of harp music? I remember somone telling me something about him and that he designed the original Troubador model and the original style 30?

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Warm and projecting!

karen
    Participant

His dad, Samuel O. Pratt wrote the book and designed the original Troubador for Lyon and Healy. He also composed “The Little Fountain”—a great piece for lever harp that sounds VERY ‘harpy’.

John Pratt made my harp and he is the son of Samuel. He was born into the harp world because his mother, Louise was a professional harpist.

His brother, Carl at one time made harps also but from what I hear, they did not hold a candle to the harps that John Pratt makes.

Yes, I feel lucky to have my harp, to have had such a wonderful experience co-creating it because John was so open, willing and accommodating. It is truly a one-of-a-kind and I am blessed! I wish you could hear it and play it to understand how it sounds as beautiful as it looks!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you so much for telling me about your harp. I looked at the photos of your harp on

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.