harpcolumn

L&H Chicago 47EX

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories L&H Chicago 47EX

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    brook-boddie
    Participant

I am curious if anyone has played this particular model in the L&H Chicago line and, if so, what your experience with it was like.

kay-lister

Brook – I thought that is what you recently purchased.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Kay!

Brook purchased the Chicago 40 string petite model.

Jerusha

brook-boddie
    Participant

Kay~

Jerusha’s right–I purchased the smaller model last fall.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Brook!

How does the string spacing compare to a full-sized concert grand, like the 100 model?

Jerusha

kay-lister

That’s right – now I remember.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Jer, the string spacing on the 40-string model is the same as a concert grand.

Julia Finlayson
    Participant

Hello! I have just purchased a Chicago CG extended. I’m just a student, so the only other harp I’ve played is the twenty year old style 100 I take my lessons on. I’ve noticed that the pedal action on my harp is smoother than on the style 100, but maybe that’s just because of age. Otherwise, the sound seems just as rich and the pedal and string distances are the same.

sharon-avis–2
    Participant

Hi Brook!

I played on a Chicago 47EX at the L&H factory and I immediately got up from the harp and tried out the other two; a Chicago 47 Straight and the little Chicago 40 string harp.

phoebe-powell
    Participant

Aren’t the Chicago’s being made in China now? That’s what I’ve heard and I’ve also heard that quite a few people are not happy with their Chicago Petites because they look as if they’re only have finished and very cheaply made. I could be wrong….

brook-boddie
    Participant

Phoebe,

I owned a Chicago 40 harp, and my experience was just the opposite.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, I heard that too that the Chicagos are made in Shanghai. Heard it from one of their technicians so assume he would know.

I’ve only seen one Chicago, a 47 Ex and it was a stinker. I’ve heard that they vary

unknown-user
    Participant

Ummm. I know someone that just got a 40 string and she really likes the way it looks but she says it sounds really really awful.

I think these are bad rumors circulating again. I was told that they are made in the factory, using extra wood from making the other harps, and using one piece rather than laminated layers.

I tried them all and they all sounded good. There were no duds or exceptional instruments. They may need more time to age than fancier models, but they sound good to begin with. They are simpler looking than the carved models, and that seems to be the main difference. Their construction is more like a regular harp than the 85 line.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics