unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,996 through 2,010 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Cross-Strung VS Triple Strung #163649
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m playing both. It does require switching gears. The 6/6 is newest to me and came after I had less time to sit and study a new harp format and do it full justice. That being said, it is much more conceptually simple. Practically it still requires putting theory into motor memory. While both harps have a kinesthetic emphasis over other harps, the 6/6 whole tone is definitely fun for me at the moment, even though the 5/7 chromatic is my well worn pair of shoes, so to speak.

    I’ve never had to think about not having chromatic ability on either harp so I don’t know what that is like. I do have to take a bit more care not to be sloppy on the 6/6… I’m not sure what else to say.

    Learning either harp takes a. some draw of the muse, or b. a teacher that can communicate effectively, or c. an adventurous spirit w/the ability to progressively learn.

    in reply to: choir and harp #85835
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Pat, you are always such a help.

    Hope all is well in your neck of the woods,

    Wurly gurl.

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68526
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for that Bernard, that is very good to know.

    You were mentioning elsewhere some nylgut strings, and maybe when I finally get around to buying another lever harp, nylgut may be more readily available in this part of the world. As that sounds like a better option to me. I’ll talk to some of harp suppliers here and see what I can come up with.

    Cheers.

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68525
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Mimi,

    There is some really very useful info in that post, thanks for listing your music styles in particular.

    in reply to: New Sweeney Todd Soundtrack #111308
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you get the special (or extended) edition of the cd, it has all of
    the musicians listed in the extensive liner. If I had it with me now –
    I’d let you know the name of the harpist.

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69264
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I should certainly hope that pink harp was one of a kind. I have rarely seen any harp as tasteless. What would you wear playing it? A hot pink tuxedo or hair?

    I will say that I agree, that defensiveness by a business owner comes across as insecurity, something I can identify with. It is also better if employees do not post, which I am sure Mrs. Krasicki is thinking about, unless as official representatives. It is interesting to hear what builders think about the harps, but it can also be a distorted view as they are part of the process more than the product. I can say that all the harpists I know who have Venus harps are happy with them, and those that don’t like them don’t buy them, so they are not unhappily owning them. That says something about the harps.

    And if you are at all interested in new designs, I have a few good ideas, plus an architect friend who would love to design one.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162948
    unknown-user
    Participant

    O.k.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162944
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Forgot to ask…which procedure (water or oil) lasts longer?

    Maria

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162943
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,

    This is really a neat topic!

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69262
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Maria,

    Your point is well taken!

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111663
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hear, Hear, Saul!

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69261
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ariana,

    I have to disagree with you.

    in reply to: Ordering Harp Music #86912
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Lyra/International Music Service has always been an alternative source to Lyon & Healy, with the largest, most diverse stock of music to choose from, and I hope they will always be around. That said, there’s no comparison to having a local store where you can look at music, buy it, and take it home with no shipping charges. Too much music I order by mail ends up being a dud. My last order was over 100 dollars, and only one piece turned out to be a winner. When Lyra and I both lived in New York, I used to stop by every Friday to browse. That’s how I got such a big, diverse collection of music. It’s much harder to browse on the internet. I like how on the Harp Connection you can see the cover sometimes, and the first page of the music, if I recall correctly. I am lucky to have a store in the neighborhood with harp music, Delaware Valley Music Company, but it’s a small stock, mostly for me and my students, I think, but I can order through them without paying shipping, which I should do more often. Very possibly, your music stores could do the same, if you still have any, in which case you should support them.

    in reply to: J.C. Bach, Concerto in D Major? #86900
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If Lyra doesn’t have it, try a music library.

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111662
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am against censorship, and those sorts of rules come too close. We should be free to express ourselves…for the most part.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,996 through 2,010 (of 5,570 total)