Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161089
    Tacye
    Participant

    But ‘What are performance levers?’ would be a perfectly reasonable question would it not?

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161086
    Tacye
    Participant

    The problem may be purely semantic.

    in reply to: Edinburgh Festival #161047
    Tacye
    Participant

    I will be there and it would be good to meet up.

    Anyone else?

    in reply to: Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play? #147371
    Tacye
    Participant

    Stephanie Curcio, who shares my love of this arrangement tried asking Osian Ellis without success. There is apparently an early documentary reference to concerto for harp and lute and all the repetition suddenly makes (more) sense!

    in reply to: Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play? #147369
    Tacye
    Participant

    To listen to my favourite by a very long mile, as I think I have said before, is the recording with Osian Ellis playing it as a concerto for harp and lute- arranged by Thurston Dart.

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102363
    Tacye
    Participant

    A baroque harp…

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102361
    Tacye
    Participant

    I don’t think Briggsie was bothered that you didn’t share her taste-
    just bemusement (which I share) at your choice of the term ridiculously baroque for every other choice on the market!

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102348
    Tacye
    Participant

    An early Erard Grecian in perfect condition…

    in reply to: Dodgy String #161449
    Tacye
    Participant

    Over here none of the harp companies have ever tried advising me to change gut strings every year or so.

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155115
    Tacye
    Participant

    Think about the difference between raising pitch by tuning a violin string up (vibrating length stays much the same, tension increases) and raising the pitch by stopping it with a finger (vibrating length is shortened, tension remains much the same).

    One of the early steps in physics experimentation is working out very clear-headedly how to alter as few variables as possible at a time and trying to detangling all those which can be detangled.

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155113
    Tacye
    Participant

    What I hope you are trying to express is that the boundary conditions for the string, which are assumed by simple theory to be perfectly rigid end points, cannot be so in practice (as the soundboard is moving or there would be no sound) and therefore objects beyond the main vibrating length of the string can have an effect on the vibration.

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155110
    Tacye
    Participant

    Michael, you are confused with lateral and transverse vibrations.

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155106
    Tacye
    Participant

    The tension is governed by the vibrating length of the string, which ends where the string enters the hole in the soundboard so string rib thickness should not affect the tension.

    in reply to: Fingering #86172
    Tacye
    Participant

    I do everything possible to explain the crucial factor of consistent fingers,
    but if they don’t want to believe it, or do it, then I give up.

    in reply to: Fingering #86168
    Tacye
    Participant

    Do your students understand the importance of consistent fingerings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,469 total)