harpcolumn

Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    tony-morosco
    Participant

Interesting that this thread was revived. Since getting my new pedal harp I have decided to re-learn this piece for pedals and after much consideration have chosen the Salzedo version.

Anyone who knows me knows that being true to the original isn’t something that particularly concerns me (although I respect those who put the effort into historical accuracy). In the end I liked Salzedo’s more modern approach. As Saul said his cadenza is very 1940’s in style and I actually really like that.

If I were going to play it with an orchestra that might not be my first choice, but since I am playing it for my own enjoyment I will just go with what appeals to me and Salzedo’s style has always had a big appeal to me. I have actually had the music for a few months now and have read through it but haven’t sat down to do it. I am going to have some serious free time in a couple of weeks and was just thinking that would be the best time to start.

mr-s

Hi Angela, harpists in Russia like to play Grandjany, and its the only version they play,and

Hi Mr. S,

There is nothing special about Dulova’s edition, just I mentioned as a fact, because

helen-rudd
    Participant

I have been looking for the Mcdonald version. Is it out of print?
    Helen

carl-swanson
    Participant

Seeing the return of this thread and reading most of the posts has been interesting. I had no idea there were so many versions of this concerto!

I think in the end one has to choose the edition that is appropriate to the circumstances. It is WRONG to simply play the original. Handel wrote the melody and figured bass and expected the player to fill it out. He would have looked with derision on anyone who played any of his keyboard works exactly as they were written. Another thing to consider is that Handel frequently reworked his pieces, again, to suit the circumstances of the performances. There are 5 or 6 versions of the Messiah, just to choose one example. Also, when he made an organ version of the B flat concerto, he made changes to that so that it would fit onto the keyboard of the day. So there should be no problem with any version of this concerto that fills out the original.

If you are playing this piece on a period harp with a period orchestra, then it is probably most appropriate to stick to minimal additions to what’s written and insert a cadenza that lasts no more than 10 seconds. But who is going to do that? I’m not sure that any harp of Handel’s period exists in playable condition. If you are going to play this either as a solo piece, as several of the editions allow, or are playing this as a concerto with orchestra in a large hall, then you have to beef up the whole thing, filling out chords much more and using a longer cadenza. To my mind, the Grandjany cadenza is the best available and a real crowd pleaser.

With a number of these editions it is necessary to correct the ornaments that were added. In virtually all cases, the ornaments should start on the upper note and on the beat.

Tacye
    Participant

To listen to my favourite by a very long mile, as I think I have said before, is the recording with Osian Ellis playing it as a concerto for harp and lute- arranged by Thurston Dart.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tacye- That sounds like a wonderful arrangement. Can you find out anything from Osian Ellis?

Tacye
    Participant

Stephanie Curcio, who shares my love of this arrangement tried asking Osian Ellis without success. There is apparently an early documentary reference to concerto for harp and lute and all the repetition suddenly makes (more) sense!

mr-s

my question is wich edition do you play if you play it with orchestra? is Grandjany able to be played with orchestra too? or only as it is

carl-swanson
    Participant

Basel- You can play the Grandjany edition with or without orchestra. I think if I were to do it with orchestra I would not play in the tutti parts where the orchestra plays. I really love the Grandjany version, and his cadenza in the second movement is just wonderful.

mr-s

Carl, i do love Granjany edition too………………..you are right.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

I do Grandjany, but I find it so difficult.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

How can you possibly find that cadenza the easiest part?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Easy may not be what was intended. Anything written by a harpist is going to be more comfortable than anything written by a non-harpist. I think this is true on any instrument. Even if a piece is difficult-say a Chopin Etude- the notes on the piano still fall under the fingers. The cadenza is difficult but more comfortable than other parts of the concerto, particularly the first movement. There is always a certain awkwardness to any piece written by a non-harpist.

mr-s

Hi Mel,the Grandgany Cadenza is not that easy, especially if you wnt to play it as a technical show,if you want to play notes,its different thing, and its not going slow at all,i really love this version.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies