harpcolumn

Playing harp chords on the piano

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Playing harp chords on the piano

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, I am a student at a highschool that does not have a harp. Fortunately, we have keyboards that can emulate harp sounds. I am currently auditioning for the entirety of Scheherazade and I would have some questions on how to play harp chords. In some sections chords have a full arpeggiation symbol cross staff. Does that mean to play each hand at the same time and roll each hand at the same time, or to start from the bottom hand and roll the chords one note at a time to the top. Thanks

Biagio
    Participant

Not following here, I’m afraid. If the score calls for an arpeggio it is played in the direction as written, one hand after the other. If it is a glissando (squiggly line) it should be played from bottom to top, absent any indication otherwise, ending on the beat. Hope that helps.

Biagio

Sylvia
    Participant

Listen to a recording of Scheherazade, and you will hear how the chords are played.

wil-weten
    Participant

If the arpeggio-sign goes without a break through next to the notes of the left and the right hand, the arpeggio should be started at the bottom note of the left hand, working al the way up to the right hand.

If the arpeggio-sign does have a break along the notes of the left hand and the right hand, the left hand and the right hand start at the same time to play the arpeggio.

The school should pay for a harpist to come in and play, not use a synthesizer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies