Suzie Q

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Bent string? #72354
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Well, I do cut off the extra string, and usually for the 1st through 3rd octaves, I have enough to make an entire new string. 🙂 It is unfortunate that the lower, and more expensive strings, don’t come in double lengths. However I haven’t heard of tying a short length of string to an existing (broken)

    in reply to: Bent string? #72351
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    That was wonderful insight, and reasoning. The string was not massacred. I just think I took it out of the packaging a bit too quickly, so it bent in one spot, leaving a small white patch (which could turn out to be annoying to the eye more than anything) and a bit of roughness at the space. However, it is above where I pluck the strings when playing, and right below the string’s harmonic, so I don’t think it would bother me there.

    And it definitely isn’t worse than the knot, so now I’m feeling less worried that this will break immediately because of one kink.

    My teacher reccomended I change the strings about every other year, and as they break. I have had three nylons break in the almost 2 years since I’ve had the harp. Of course, if a string sounds false or worn, then I’d replace it anyway.

    in reply to: Bent string? #72349
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Thanks for your insight. Would your best advice be to replace this string sooner rather than later? Otherwise, I can leave it on, and possibly change it in about 1 year instead of 2 years, just to make sure it doesn’t break on its own.

    And yes, I am now being especially careful with the other strings.

    in reply to: Short Orchestra Rehearsals? #150624
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Yes, I hate coming in and having to move my harp onstage when its not a break, since its so rude (and plus I need someone to help me with it), so usually, I’ll come either at the beginning of rehearsal and spend my time offstage reading, or I’ll come during a break. It may not be more convenient though.

    Its especially frustrating when they’re running behind schedule and the piece I’m playing in is tacked on for 10 minutes at the end. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has only been to rehearsals for 20 minutes though.

    in reply to: Bending Third Finger Knuckle? #159472
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Thank you! Those tips seem like they may help me. I’ll go try them out.

    in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166206
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    I started on lever harp when I was 13…but I’d had 4 years of piano instruction at that time. After a year, I moved up to a pedal harp, and I’m now 15, and also continuing piano. (I have to say though, telling people I play harp sounds a lot cooler.) For now, harp for 2 years, piano for 6. 🙂

    in reply to: Harp Benches #108964
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    How much does this stool/bench weigh?

    I am looking into getting an actual harp stool, since the one I have now is falling apart and not quite high enough for me. However, weight and portablility are my two biggest concerns. The elegant design of these benches is a bonus, since I can get one to match my instrument (a Salvi semi-grand)

    Thanks!

    in reply to: Lifting #75453
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    What I do to go down the stairs is pretty much the opposite of what my teacher showed me about going up. One person takes their right hand and puts it in one of the holes on the back of the harp, and then wraps their right arm up and over the upper part of the neck. Then, tilt the harp backward (as if you’re going to play) and put the left hand further down the neck to keep it steady. Then, the other person reaches down from the bottom, similar to going up the stairs. But yes, the tuning pins can dig into the skin, so I usually try and have a jacket or long sleeves to lessen the effect.

    My biggest problem is keeping the harp from tilting: that is why I asked the advice of my teacher.

    I have yet to try going up with this new method, so I hope there aren’t too many problems with steadiness….

    in reply to: Joined HighSchool Orchestra need advice. #166559
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    This was good advice for me too. I joined a community youth orchestra, and am definitely getting used to lugging my semi-grand harp around, however my mom and I are getting better at it. The worst part is lifting it up the stage stairs….we need to work on that, or I need to get some better help (being only 5 ft myself).

    in reply to: Glue? #75516
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    I’m not certain about anything, but it is possible. Since it is inside this seam, its hard to see. It could be that the dust made it more noticeable, but it was always there. I am however glad that this doesn’t sound like a drastic case. I was just worried my harp could fall apart. That’s reassuring, but I may try and look into it more. Thank you all for your opinions.

    in reply to: Glue? #75514
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    I meant to add that I’m not absolutely sure it is putty-like, since it isn’t coming out completely. Its possible that it is just dust along the edges of this seam that looks to be putty.

    in reply to: Glue? #75513
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Thank you for your responses. If it isn’t usually glued on pedal harps, then I don’t need to be that worried about it coming apart. I just know that this grey wasn’t showing when I purchased the harp a year ago. I don’t know what could be mixing with dust. Maybe it is just oils and other liquids, but if it stays like that, I can ask my harp teacher and it is due for regulation within a year.

    in reply to: Beginning Gigs? #159965
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Thanks!

    I also agree with my teacher about receiving full pay. Otherwise, it isn’t really fair to other harpists in the area. You’re right. That’s why I was looking for ways I can gain that experience, as I expand my repertoir.

    in reply to: Transport #75800
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Thanks Barbara. Its possible that that is what is happening.

    And thank you everyone for your great help!

    in reply to: Transport #75798
    Suzie Q
    Participant

    Well, its good to see a variety of opinions on how to move your harp. I’ll probably end up doing something that’s convenient for me, but also safe for the instrument. Its only a year old, so I don’t want to damage it.

    Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)