harpcolumn

Bent string?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Bent string?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Suzie Q
    Participant

I am going through and changing the strings on my pedal harp. Its been almost two years since I got it, so my teacher said its due to be re-strung. However, one string that I put on (and this is my first time re-stringing) seems more yellow than the others – it is the 5th octave E. Also, when uncurling it from the packaging, it kinked a bit. So there is a place about half-way down the string that is a tad rough and also discolored to a white color…since the string kinked before I put it on.

Is this string now faulty? Because of the kink and the small rough patch? It is not large, and does not affect my playing, nor does there seem to be a difference in sound, but I do not wish this to break, or become faulty sooner.

Thoughts?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

As long as it isn’t false, go ahead and use it, but it will probably break much sooner than it would otherwise. It’s pretty important to try very hard not to crimp strings when putting them on. A sharp bend like that makes a weak spot where it happened.

Suzie Q
    Participant

Thanks for your insight. Would your best advice be to replace this string sooner rather than later? Otherwise, I can leave it on, and possibly change it in about 1 year instead of 2 years, just to make sure it doesn’t break on its own.

And yes, I am now being especially careful with the other strings.

Tacye
    Participant

I would leave it on.

Suzie Q
    Participant

That was wonderful insight, and reasoning. The string was not massacred. I just think I took it out of the packaging a bit too quickly, so it bent in one spot, leaving a small white patch (which could turn out to be annoying to the eye more than anything) and a bit of roughness at the space. However, it is above where I pluck the strings when playing, and right below the string’s harmonic, so I don’t think it would bother me there.

And it definitely isn’t worse than the knot, so now I’m feeling less worried that this will break immediately because of one kink.

My teacher reccomended I change the strings about every other year, and as they break. I have had three nylons break in the almost 2 years since I’ve had the harp. Of course, if a string sounds false or worn, then I’d replace it anyway.

Tacye
    Participant

My first teacher came from a very different school of harp stringing from yours!

Karen Johns
    Participant

Tacye,

I’m in the U.S.A. and I don’t adhere to any set calendar date to change my strings. I let my ear tell me when, and my fingers can basically feel when a gut string is getting too rough to play and needs to be changed. So I’m in your camp.

Karen

Suzie Q
    Participant

Well, I do cut off the extra string, and usually for the 1st through 3rd octaves, I have enough to make an entire new string. 🙂 It is unfortunate that the lower, and more expensive strings, don’t come in double lengths. However I haven’t heard of tying a short length of string to an existing (broken)

andy-b
    Participant

I was told years ago that during WWI, due to harpstrings

Tacye
    Participant

When I did it (Once. I believe in trying things out.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It was pretty common during the depression, I believe, also. It’s not something you’d want to do on a general basis, since the patched string never sounds as good as a new string will.

I’ve used it myself when stringing Pleyel chromatics for decorative purposes (pedal harp strings aren’t long enough), but as long as I can afford a new string, I’d always opt for that for that instead for an instrument that’s going to be played.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Andy, there’s a diagram on pages 40 and 41 of Lawrence and Salzedo’s “Method for the Harp.” You can only do it with gut strings (the knots won’t hold with nylons) and only above the adjustable nut. I did it in college when I couldn’t afford to replace strings that broke at the top or bottom of the string. Otherwise they weren’t long enough to do it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.