sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do I need Music Theory? #82721
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    YES!

    in reply to: Pretty Pedal Harps?? #69803
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Look at a pre WW2 Wurlitzer or L&H. My harp looks like the ones played for princesses in fairy tales.

    It was also less than $20,000.

    in reply to: The Little Fountain-Harp Parts I and II #103650
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The two parts are very clearly indicated for you in the book. There is a major difference between the two parts, so maybe you could borrow the book from the library and get a good look at it before you decide what you want to do next.

    in reply to: The Little Fountain-Harp Parts I and II #103649
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Danses Pour Le Dauphine- that’s the book!

    in reply to: The Little Fountain-Harp Parts I and II #103648
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Google the name of Samuel Pratt. It’s in a very nice collection of pieces in both parts. I can’t remember the name of the book, but there are several other useful pieces in it.

    in reply to: Is it in print? #103682
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The whole score, by Alan Silvestri, is lovely music, pleasantly orchestrated. The top hits that made up the rest of the music in the movie kind of detracted from how nice the rest of the score is.

    If you happen to find it, please post the publisher.

    in reply to: Tough Harp Question #155975
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My Wurlitzer was built around 1915, and all the original pieces except strings are still fully functional.

    in reply to: Having a tough time with a particular pattern #156105
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Totally agree, Kay. I know the piece, A., and if you learn this slowly and thoroughly you’ll find it used again and again, and in the next variation it will seem less tough, and twenty pieces from now you’ll wonder why it seemed tough in the first place.

    As you said, it definitely is an essential technique, but no particular short cuts. That said, if you happen to know a little chord theory it helps a little to analyze the chords. If you go through the piece you will find repetitions, and finding that you are really only playing the same few patterns makes the task a little less daunting.

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #103676
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Spot on about the spelling of the name Catherine. It also appears as Edgar.

    What I’m actually looking for is the printed scores of the movie music. Friedhofer’s orchestrations sound so great, and I want to see them.

    in reply to: Favorite O’Carolan tune #103309
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oh oh – Carolan didn’t compose Miss Hamilton?

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #103674
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There is now an Eddy DeLange page on FaceBook, and Mr. DeLange’s daughter would love to hear from admirers of her dad’s music. The piece is still in copyright but she had expressed willingness to attempt to get legal reprints, and for such a worthwhile project I’m sure we’d agree to pay whatever the copies would cost.

    I’d do it myself but I’m not on FaceBook.

    Question for David Ice- where are the full scores for Friedhofer’s movies, especially The Bishop’s Wife and The Best Years of Our Lives?

    in reply to: Accepting weddings while pregnant. Ethics question. #146119
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I think you delightful young women should develop a solid circle of non- Mommy harpists to cover, then enjoy working as long as you can and enjoy being with your babies as long as they need you.

    Hearty congrats to you, Alishia, and best also to those of you who are looking forward to being moms in the future.

    Also, you may prefer to skip the episode of “How I Met Your Mother” in which Lilly and Marshall get married until your babies are here!

    in reply to: Nino Rota Concerto #146085
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    It’s liated as available at sheetmusicplus.com.

    in reply to: Favorite O’Carolan tune #103307
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Miss Hamilton

    in reply to: Strap buttons for a lap harp #155654
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Have you checked with Musicmakers?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 747 total)