harpcolumn

Having a tough time with a particular pattern

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Having a tough time with a particular pattern

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    A. Riley
    Participant

So I’m a beginning harpist (lessons since last fall) and having lots of fun with it — until *this* particular piece. It’s in Milligan’s Fun From the First, Vol. II, “In the Month of May.” It’s a pretty little music-box piece, and once I’ve got it, I’ll love it. The right hand includes some simple descending figures, and the left-hand accompaniment is mostly ascending broken chords in a very slightly different rhythm.

Two hands heading in different directions at the same time — *that’s* the sticky wicket.

Do you have any tips toward mastering this simple and essential technique? I’d be grateful for any suggestions from those who’ve been there & broken through to the other side. Thanks!

kay-lister

Hi “A”

LOTS of practice hands apart!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Totally agree, Kay. I know the piece, A., and if you learn this slowly and thoroughly you’ll find it used again and again, and in the next variation it will seem less tough, and twenty pieces from now you’ll wonder why it seemed tough in the first place.

As you said, it definitely is an essential technique, but no particular short cuts. That said, if you happen to know a little chord theory it helps a little to analyze the chords. If you go through the piece you will find repetitions, and finding that you are really only playing the same few patterns makes the task a little less daunting.

tony-morosco
    Participant

It’s called Contrary Motion, and

carl-swanson
    Participant

You might try practicing in very short segments, maybe a few beats at a time or at most a measure. Just try to get 2 or 3 beats to work well and comfortably. When you’ve gotten that, go to the next 2 or 3 beats and practice just that. When that is working well, connect the first and second segments together. Don’t start from the beginning of the piece each time. Just work on the 2 or 3 beats that you are trying to learn. Go through the rest of the piece practicing a few beats until it feels comfortable and then connect it to the previous stuff you learned.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Yes Carl,

A. Riley
    Participant

Thanks for all your help — I’ll do exactly what you’ve all described. Thank you so much!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies